Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

will adf's climb out of their tank ?

xenopus

Reaction score
if you mean african dwarf frogs then no they wont climb out thats not to say that they cant jump out like some fish so keep the top well covered anyway by the way if they did get out they wouldn't last long out of water as a rule ..i have heard of people putting their poor little dried up little friends in a bowl of water and low and behold they had made it through the awful ordeal but you obviously would just want to avoid that situation all together hope this helps

xenopus

Reaction score
also if im correct about the species your asking about you might want to make sure that they are adf and not acf which get very large and eat anything that moves (quite a problem when you thought you were getting tiny pellet eating frogs) you see they kind of look similar when the acf's are babies

NewtLover

Reaction score
i made sure they were DWARF african frogs

they are only little and will stay that way

thanks for the concern

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you keep them with? I never understood what people saw in these. Xenopus I get, but Hymenochirus are a mystery to me.

Jumpshot724

Reaction score
What do you keep them with? I never understood what people saw in these. Xenopus I get, but Hymenochirus are a mystery to me.

I had them when I was younger, raised them from eggs, only one made it through metamorphasis but dies shortly after. They're fun to watch I suppose, it's like having fish only it's a welcome change from fish.

NewtLover

Reaction score
i love frogs and fish and newts

this frog is perfect for keeping with community fish

he is small enough to ignore guppys and the like

also i love the really cute small size

gloriousspandex

Reaction score
They won't 'climb' per say, but yes, if the tank isn't covered they will attempt to escape. I always keep my bowl covered so that this can't happen.

merk199

Reaction score
Just to echo the sentiment no cover will mean dried up ADF. I lost one who escaped during feeding recently.

I actually enjoy watching them float around and eat. I think they are cool. Perfect for the 2 1/2-4-10 gallon tanks. Grow some nice plants in the tank....I personally have never kept fish with them, but I would be worried about the fish bothering them, especially something that is fast and moves a lot.

Joost

Reaction score
They don't climb?????
Yes they certainly do sometimes...

Attachments

• IMGP4460.JPG
    IMGP4460.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 1,326
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!