GBR Press: Pond newts could stop mine plan

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
THE JOURNAL (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) 12 February 08 Pond newts could stop mine plan (Neil Mckay)
Great crested newts could scupper plans to mine more than half a million tonnes of coal from a site in the North-East.
The discovery of a colony of the tiny animals – which are a protected species – in a pond on the site where opencast mining is proposed, near Consett, County Durham, has delighted campaigners opposed to the plans.
Derwentside councillors will be recommended by their planning officer Louisa Ollivere to reject the application when they meet on Thursday.
Although the district does not have the final say and can only express its views – Durham County councillors are due to decide on UK Coal’s application in April – Ms Ollivere’s recommendation of refusal was described as “extremely good news” by locals who fear disturbance, dust and noise.
UK Coal has submitted the planning application to Durham County Council to take 556,000 tonnes from 68 hectares of land off the A692 beneath the Pontop Pike TV mast, between the villages of Dipton and Leadgate. More than 3,000 locals signed a petition opposing the development.
UK Coal says the proposal would create 38 jobs, produce 556,000 tonnes of coal needed for the British steel or electricity industry, and provide a new conservation area after mining is completed within three years. But Ms Ollivere, in a report to be considered by Derwentside’s development control committee, says: “There is likely to be significant impact upon the Brooms Pond and Great Crested Newt species.
“In addition to great crested newts, other species have been identified both on site and in the local area that could be affected during the operations. These include bats, badgers and birds.
“The loss of the Brooms Pond and harm to the Great Crested Newt population cannot be offset by the creation of new habitats taking into account the difficulty with translocation.”
The report was welcomed by David Shields, 57, of St Ives Road, Leadgate, a retired squadron leader and member of residents’ group The Pont Valley Network, which is opposed to the application.
He said: “The great crested newts are a show-stopper, and a recent survey found 47 in the pond. We believe the site is also home to badgers and bats, while somebody spotted a rare butterfly species, The Dingy Skipper.”
Durham and Derwentside councillor Watts Stelling said: “This area has been ravaged by industry in the past and should now be allowed to recover.” But Stuart Oliver, spokesman for UK Coal, said: “Great crested newts are not an impediment. They are a protected species, but we can and we will create safe new habitats for them.”
Numbers in decline
The great crested newt is the largest British newt.
In the breeding season, the male is recognisable by his jagged crest and silvery- blue stripe down the centre of the tail. Both sexes have a dark brown warty body and yellowish-orange belly with black blotches.
The species is widespread in Europe but is threatened in many countries. Britain has probably Europe’s largest population and is, therefore, very important to the continuing survival of the great crested newt.
Newts need waterbodies for breeding but, for most of the year, they live on dry land.
A typical breeding site contains a number of medium to large ponds that have some areas of clear, base-rich water, deeper than 30cm and with few fish predators.
Because of the massive declines in range and abundance in recent years, the great crested newt is strictly protected by British and European law which makes it an offence to kill, injure or capture them, disturb them in any way, damage or destroy their habitat.
http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...nd-newts-could-stop-mine-plan-61634-20463498/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back