Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving!!

shantsdude

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I currently got accepted to a college in TX. However, I live in Oregon! Having two baby Axolotls, what is the best way to transport them with the lowest level of stress?

Mercuri

Reaction score
No answer, but I have the very same question. I live in Pennsylvania and I have been accepted for graduate study in Southern California. What are our options?

keechoo

Reaction score
Good question! I'm going from RI to NJ with 3 newts, 2 ACFs, and 10 FBTs. I would also like some advice.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The best way to move aquatics (especially axolotls) is in large plastic tubs filled with water, inside a cooler or styrofoam box that's kept cool (with ice packs or something).

Terrestrial animals (or those without gills) can be packed into tubs with moss or unbleached paper towel (or styrofoam packing peanuts).

Be sure to take appropriate amounts of water to do water changes or misting. And be sure to check with local laws to see if you can legally bring your pets to your new area.

shantsdude

Reaction score
The best way to move aquatics (especially axolotls) is in large plastic tubs filled with water, inside a cooler or styrofoam box that's kept cool (with ice packs or something).

Terrestrial animals (or those without gills) can be packed into tubs with moss or unbleached paper towel (or styrofoam packing peanuts).

Be sure to take appropriate amounts of water to do water changes or misting. And be sure to check with local laws to see if you can legally bring your pets to your new area.

Would a 5 gal. jug of water work?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Axies are illegal here.
Just letting you know that DosJax is telling the truth. It's a fact (just when you thought California was cool...).

Congratulations on grad school though.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would a 5 gal. jug of water work?
Yes, a 5-gallon jug should work. On a drive this long, sloshing could be a problem. During the drive, you might want to keep the jug nearly full to the top so it can't slosh much - then at pitstops, pour some water out so it can aerate a bit. Good luck!

How will you manage the axolotls during breaks at school? A week or two would be OK, but what will you do in summers? Finding another home for the axolotls before you go to college is another option you might want to consider. They aren't the easiest pets if you move a lot. You're going into a period of your life where you are likely to be moving and traveling around quite a bit. (I'm old enough to be your mother, so you'll have to excuse my lecturing);)

Mercuri

Reaction score
I actually don't have an axolotl, but a paddle-tail newt (hehe) - I just thought that the moving thread was relevant since my little gal is aquatic as well and I figured that the transporting of her would be similar.

Has anybody ever gone such a long distance with one before? I've cleared her with CA Fish & Game as a legal species, and I'm reading the various airline regulations. I wish I could put her in a cooler and keep her under my seat but amphibians are not considered "personal pets" apparently.

And Thank you! I'm really excited to start ^^ Since it will take me 6 years or so to finish I figured bringing my newt along where I could keep an eye on her would be the best option.

shantsdude

Reaction score
Yes, a 5-gallon jug should work. On a drive this long, sloshing could be a problem. During the drive, you might want to keep the jug nearly full to the top so it can't slosh much - then at pitstops, pour some water out so it can aerate a bit. Good luck!

How will you manage the axolotls during breaks at school? A week or two would be OK, but what will you do in summers? Finding another home for the axolotls before you go to college is another option you might want to consider. They aren't the easiest pets if you move a lot. You're going into a period of your life where you are likely to be moving and traveling around quite a bit. (I'm old enough to be your mother, so you'll have to excuse my lecturing);)

well, I will be staying there for at least 4 years. I hope that will be enough time for it to relax a wee bit. I will have plenty of time to clean their water and such. Does the water in the 5 gal. jug have to be in the 60s? or, since I'll only be able to change the water every so often, should it be a little cooler to last longer?

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with the law, but I've seen axlotls in pet stores in the Sacramento area. As Pete said, perhaps it's only illegal to import them into California without the proper paperwork???

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually don't have an axolotl, but a paddle-tail newt (hehe) - I just thought that the moving thread was relevant since my little gal is aquatic as well and I figured that the transporting of her would be similar.
Just to make sure... you did understand from Kaysie that the transport is NOT the same, right? Newts are much easier to transport in damp paper towels or moss. And this is safer too.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the water in the 5 gal. jug have to be in the 60s? or, since I'll only be able to change the water every so often, should it be a little cooler to last longer?
Aim for whatever temperature you'll be able to maintain in the car. Cooler might be better (lower metabolism = less need for oxygen), but if you can't keep it cool for the duration of the trip, then the temperature rising might be worse than just aiming for the 60s to begin with. Hope this makes sense.

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
They're not, but there's some paperwork you're supposed to do to bring them in the state.

With some kind of educational license I'm sure you can bring them into the state (you can't have them shipped here), but not sell them. And the place in Sacramento is most likely illegally selling them (a bio. supply company, right?) just like some people do here in Oceanside.

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I actually saw them in a place in South Sacramento for sale. They had three adult wild-types and a juvenile golden albino. I also noticed another store that had one who was clearly neglected as it had no hind legs and shrunken gills. Quite sad. Every article from the California Fish and Game has deemed them and all other Ambystoma's illegal to import and keep in the state due to their ability to breed with the native California Tiger salamander. This has occured in certain populations creating hybrids that have out-survived the native species. They are very much illegal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1