okay axie hatchlings

DantezGirl

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand-Maori
Display Name
DantezGirl
i dont know if they hatched or there egg broke but any way i sucked up two babies that were laying on the bottom of the container and put them in a icecream contaier they do not move unless i wiggle the container or touch them they dont look like normal axies thau quite fat

how am i supposed to get the babies out when they hatch there are some that look like normal axies still in there eggs so i would like to get them out properly and will they just lay at the bottom or swim? thanks

When mine hatched out of their eggs they pretty much looked like mini tadpoles with gills. Here is a link that should help you figure out what they should look like http://www.axolotl.org/embryo_series.htm.
Also it's totally normal for them not to move and just chill at the bottom of their containers, mine are just starting to sprout back legs and they still are lazy little bums that only get to moving when food is involved.
Hope this helps you a little.

hi thanks for the reply i think i may have broke the egg because these two are chubby and look like they shouldve been developing more they look like fat logs that slightly resemble a axie im hopeing the ones that are looking good will stay in there eggs untill ready thanks any way i dont have hi hopes for these two since there out will they still grow or just die?

When they first hatch out, I leave them in with the other axolotl eggs for the first two days at least, as they will eat the remaining egg yolk they came out of and won't move much. Once they start zipping round I remove them and start feeding them straight away.

The 2 day period is a good guide and gives you time, if you don't have daphnia etc... to get the brineshrimp hatchery setup to hatch eggs (usually takes up to 48hours dependant on temperature).

As for the undeveloped ones, I had a few like this as well - all survived. The egg may have been broken by turkey baster or just come apart. I left them in the container of unhatched eggs - they lived of the yolk that was still floating round. If they'd died, they'd died (that's life) and basically it's survival of the fittest. They managed to survive and develop a bit more by the time the rest hatched out. Then I separated them completely from the fully developed looking hatchlings and kept them separate till they were of a similar size.

thanks for that hopeing they do ok have had the brine shrimp going since yesterday morning and no more have left there egg yet so thats good hope to get more daphnia tomorrow or tuesday so another bonus still need more daphnia thau but should be ok on brine shrimp for now

have any members had luck with frozen daphnia? how would i get them to eat that still a worry useing salt in fresh water for me

nope frozen daphnia won't work. They only respond to small live foods.

As for the brineshrimp, you rinse it before adding it to their containers. Some use a stocking method or hanky over a jar - suck the brineshrimp up using a turkey baster, squirt it into a brineshrimp net (or stocking or hanky stretched over a jar with an elastic/rubber band) then squirt some dechlorinated water over the brineshrimp. Then turn the net/hanky, stocking into the container of hatchlings for feeding.

I haven't had any problems with the brineshrimp feeding - the salt, whatever residue is minimal in the water = and as you'll be doing waterchanges daily or twice daily (you need to with brineshrimp as they die within a few hours of feeding) and spot cleaning to suck out any waste/uneaten food it shouldn't be a problem at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back