10 Gal CFB tank

Lasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd post this as there seem to be alot of 'FB setup?' threads being posted.

This is a 10 gal long tank about 5 or 6 inchs of water in it. The top half of the back wall of the tank has been coverd in cork bark attatched with aquarium silicon, gaps have been packed with sphagnum moss(which has died, but showing new growth in damp areas) and gravel. The lower half, below the water line, is covered in overlapping slate chips.

A filter is housed in a pvc pipe(drilled with lots of holes), concealed with more cork bark stuck to the back on the far right. Theres a 'lid' on top, a piece of cut down bark coverd with more moss to stop beasties getting in to the filter. I've modified the filter so I can attach an outflow pipe, which runs up out of the top and runs down a piece of bog wood fixed diagonaly across the tank to create a sort of waterfall(not running right now due to probs with the filter).

On the left is a section of cork bark tube siliconed to the bottom with a few sections cut out to create an under water hide with a couple of entrances. The top is uncovered to make a nice still pool and give easy entry/exit from the water. More cork bark and slate chippings are siliconed in place to create a damp land area around it and to under the waterfall log in the middle of the tank. Substrate is a green/grey decorate garden gravel(washed thorougly).

As well as the moss there is a potted Hygrophillia Lacustris on the left(a great plant for bog/riverside paludarium setups, as long as the roots are submerged it will keep growing and branching above the surface) and in the middle a Miriophyllum Elatinodes(water milfoil) which is spreading all over the place(also good, a hardy plant and a good oxygenator). Theres some 4 leaf clover planted in the substrate on the right hand side which seems to be dying - I'm quite impressed I've never been able to kill one before, to the contrary it usualy spreads like wild fire and is a right bitch to remove from a planted tank.
Theres a few smaller bits of bog wood and slate on the bottom, the right hand side is left clear for easy cleaning(feeding area, still covered in this evenings blood worms in the photo).

This currently houses 10 cloud mountain minnows, 2 otocinculus and 2 cynops orientalis.

This was a rush job, constructed over a day or two with no planning and whatever materials I had to hand(this is the 8th viv I've constructed like this, and tbh my least favourite). But I hope it gives people some ideas.

Little under 2 months old, so just starting to get established.

Apologies for the terrible photos, taken on my phone. Pic 3 is a slightly blurry shot of Vulkan and Vesta being cute and having lunch.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 435
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 295
  • lunch.jpg
    lunch.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 296
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back