Just got home

Levo

Reaction score
Country
England
Well I have just got home with my axolotl, hes a good looking fella although he is looking a little stressed because of the car journey home. Nevertheless I have him back now and I wanted to know how do I introduce the axolotol to the tank? Do I keep him in the bag he has come in floating in the water so that he gets used to the water temperature as you would do with fish or should I just let him straight in?

Any other tips about a new axolotl are welcome.

Leave the bag floating in the water for a bit so your axolotl becomes adjusted to the temperature.

For other tips try axolotl.org and if you still have questions, post them here :)

Don't pour the water from the bag into the tank - in case the tank it came from originally may be contaminated/diseased (or have other germs) and you don't want it to mix with your tankwater. When you finally put him in the tank, empty the water out or pour the whole lot - axie and water into a container and then tip the water out and slide your axie into the tank.

Hello Levo,

You should never put an axolotl (or any other aquatic animal) directly from the plastic bag into your tank. For starters, the water from the aquarium/pet store could very well be contaminated and also the temperature within the bag will not match that of your tank. When I introducted my axolotl into her new tank, I floated the bag (sealed- or else it'll just sink! :p) in the tank for about 20 minutes and then checked the temperature within the bag to see whether it had reached an equilibrium with the tank. Then I opened the bag (with it still floating in the tank, just hold onto it) and using a disposable pipette, I slowly introduced the tank water into the bag (i.e. a few drops per second). I continued doing this until the bag contained at least half of the tank water. Finally, using a fish net I scooped out my axolotl and gently let her into the tank and disposed of the plastic bag and the water within it.

Hope that helps mate!

Jay.

Thanks for the help guys, I did use common sense and keep him in the bag until the water was ready, I just thought I would check up that I am introducing him/her to the tank correctly. He is looking rather happy now. The tank is a little bare but I will add some plants to it soon but he has a hide and looks to be having fun exploring.

He is only small about 10 cm in length, how often should he be fed? I have some scrummy blood worm here for him.

once or twice a day

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back