Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

tiger salamanders

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

smallz0420

Reaction score
breeding

I had a friend that is in college that has successfully bred tigers several times. Yes his major was in biology, but still.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgkvdIPQ7U

this person has some informative videos on tigers...

I have had mine in captivity for almost four years he was caught wild in the metropolis Denver. Everyone seems to think that they are veryfragile animals. If mine could surviv in downtown denver I dont see why he cant survivein the environment I have made for him.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If your friend has TRULY bred tiger salamanders in captivity (as most breedings happen in outdoor enclosures), then I really suggest he write a paper on it. It would be the first documented indoor breeding of tiger salamanders ever. However, I'm pretty skeptical. His videos are moderately good, although there are some things he is doing wrong (such as using peat moss). Tiger salamanders aren't necessarily fragile, but putting them in an inappropriate setup is a good way to shorten their life span.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I had a friend that is in college that has successfully bred tigers several times. Yes his major was in biology, but still.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgkvdIPQ7U

this person has some informative videos on tigers...

I have had mine in captivity for almost four years he was caught wild in the metropolis Denver. Everyone seems to think that they are veryfragile animals. If mine could surviv in downtown denver I dont see why he cant survivein the environment I have made for him.
Like with all things, be cautious of what you see on the internet. As Kaysie suggests, this gentleman is doing things incorrectly for optimal tiger care. Notice that he states in one of his videos that tigers spend the majority of their time in the water. No, tigers spend the majority of time underground as they are fossorial animals. They do however retreat to water if they are stressed from the condition of their substrate .... in this case, he is using spaghnum moss which can be highly acidic....the tigers probably prefer the water as acid is very unkind to a permeable skin. Neutrality is optimal. And as a sidepoint...if handling tigers, your hands should be wetted with spring water....not dry hands as shown in the videos.

The goal is not animal 'survival' but rather optimizing the quality and life-span of the animal(s) which is under your care.

I have been keeping tigers for 45 years. This site is the best in terms of reliable and credible information. There is a lot of suspect and downright wrong information that can be found elsewhere.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1