got 2 cfb's 2 weeks ago and now eggs!help!

slimyandmobray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
klaire n jai
hi,i got these guys(chinese firebellies) for my 5 yr old son 2 weeks ago and was told i could keep them in my tropical tank(i knew nothing about newts!) but i looked online before putting them in and found they like cool still water so i put them in a seperate room temp tank(we live in england).i didnt put in a filter yet as im a skint single parent and just thought i would clean the tank out regularly but today i found eggs!i figured it would be best to carefully clean the tank and put in a small filter with pebbles round to keep the current slow,so i bought one today.that way the eggs will be disturbed as little as possible.i wont have to keep moving them to clean.
i know nothing about breeding newts,was she preggers when i got her or is our other one the dad?how long does it take for the babies to hatch?should i seperate them so the parents dont eat the eggs or babies?
my son is thrilled that he has eggs and has already named one,(iv seen 4 so far,with leaves curled round them)and it would be amazing if we could get one to adulthood.
thanks in advance.x

Hello there, i have EXACTLY the same problem - there is a thread in here called 'tiny wee babies' where people have kindly given me advice. Good Luck!

hi,cheers,yeah i had a look at your thread yesterday,it was quite helpfull.i have just moved them to their new home but now im worried to put the eggs in incase the current pushes them to the filter!iv only got 3,a forth had white fluffy mould stuff on so i got rid of that one.one was free floating but the other 2 were rolled in leaves and one was v.close to mouldy one so i snipped the leaves off so i could rinse the plant to remove any more mould but now im not sure what to do with the eggs....didnt think it thru....will the leaves rot and affect the eggs?:confused:.......
im gonna have to have a good read of this site later.

perhaps she will lay some more in the new tank.
cheers for the help anyway.x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back