Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander not eating

CaraVSAngel

Reaction score
My husband and I discovered a Salamander out in the freezing cold, no protection at all, not moving. We went ahead and took him home because he looked like he might die if he stayed where he was. We've had him for about 3 months now. We've had a lot of trouble getting him to eat, and he hasn't been eating at all lately. He is starting to get a little bit thinner. We don't know a whole lot about salamanders, so we weren't sure if this was normal, and if not, what should we do?
(not entirely sure what type he is... a Northwest something-er-other... but here is a photo from last month in case that helps)
l_df01d9d933e268ded63dc6fd579f26df.jpg

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My husband and I discovered a Salamander out in the freezing cold, no protection at all, not moving. We went ahead and took him home because he looked like he might die if he stayed where he was. We've had him for about 3 months now. We've had a lot of trouble getting him to eat, and he hasn't been eating at all lately. He is starting to get a little bit thinner. We don't know a whole lot about salamanders, so we weren't sure if this was normal, and if not, what should we do?
(not entirely sure what type he is... a Northwest something-er-other... but here is a photo from last month in case that helps)
l_df01d9d933e268ded63dc6fd579f26df.jpg
From the pix, I might guess you have an ensatina...just from the looks of its eyes and snout...but that is a guess....knowing where you live and collected him would help with ID.....as well as more photos.

One question would be - what are you trying to feed him? Sals are carnivorous and feed on live food,,, size-appropriate. For a small sal, pin-head or small crickets, springtails, fruitflies, or pieces of earthworm would be good food items. For thin animals, waxworms or pieces thereof (again depending on sal size) would be a consideration. What is the length of your animal?

Other questions would be, what is his environment? What is the substrate, is it moist and at what temp is the enclosure. Most sals do best at temps at or below 68F.

You may or may not know this, but salamanders should not be handled or very limitedly as when changing their viv. Their skin is permeable and the oils from our hands can be harmful.

Some sals may become less active in the winter.

I know that there are more questions than answers here...but these are just some of the things needed to provide meaningful help.

geganewt

Reaction score
that happen to me with a snake, I found it outside in the middle of january last year. i got him, he ate once a day then started to decline then he keeled over and died, i was later told by a snake expert that that's what happen when a snake breaks the hibernation cycle. i'm not saying that will happen to your sal but it may be a possiblity.

CaraVSAngel

Reaction score
Nevermind

So, apparently our Sal is an Oregon Ensatina. My husband decided to go do some research on his own about our little guy, and decided the best decision would be to release him by our pond in the backyard. He's climatizing him first to make sure he's not shocked by the temperature change.
Thank you so much for the help... sorry this was done before I was able to utilize any advice from here :-\

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1