Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much should I feed my newts

discoferret

Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering how much I should feed my newts? Ive just fed them and the male had 2 quite large earthworms and the female did too but she is smaller than him. About a min late she regurgitated the last one. So should I just feed her one good sized worm every 2 days?

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of newts are you talking about, how big and how old are they?
Juveniles can be fed more often but especially with adults you risk obesity when overfeeding.
Might be that the second worm was more than she could handle.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless these are small worms or huge newts, I would suggest cutting the worms into pieces. If the female is thin, I would suggest feeding her small meals every day until she puts on a healthy weight.

piter

Reaction score
before...

IMG_3518.jpg

now..

Big difference in 3 months :eek: What can I do, he is too fat i think.

piter

Reaction score
Pleurodeles waltl (Michahelles, 1830)
English: Sharp-ribbed Newt
Spanish: Gallipato

:rolleyes:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Nice looking newts. I thought that's what they were, but for some reason I wasn't sure. That's one of the species I would love to get if time and space were limitless.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1