2 Salamanders to Identify

Spongiform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Found 2 salamanders that I couldn't identify while camping this week. The first one was found in a small puddle next to a mountain creek. The second was found under a small log about 10 yards from the creek. Lots of small ponds, vernal ponds and natural springs in the area. I was in the extreme south-eastern part of Tennessee (Polk County). Saw alot of redback salamanders and red spotted newts.

I've been up there before and usually see a few newts around in the puddles - but if you go out on the creek at night with a flash light, there's so many you have to be careful not to step on them.

Last time I was focused on finding frogs and snakes - lots of bull, green, leopard, grey and some tree frogs. Snake wise I usually see northern water and an occasionally banded. The locals claim they're all cotton mouths, but I've never run into one in the area. Seen several copper heads though.

Sorry if the pictures are a bit funky, was my first day using a new digital camera.

Both salamanders were roughly 2 inches long. The first one was about the same size as a newt.

I think the top one is in the Desmognathus-(no clue how it is spelled) family and the bottom one is a leadback Plethodon cinerus (redback salamander).

I agree with Cameron, the first one appears to be a stream-side salamander (coinciding with where you found it) I would say it is probably some sub-species of dusky salamander.

thanks

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the dusky originally based on the descriptions and ranges in my Peterson field guide but wasn't sure which one. I'm thinking northern based on the tail and cheek markings.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Desmognathus/D_fuscus.shtml

I never would have realized the leadback one though :D

I found a trio of redbacks about 10 yards from the leadback under some bark.

Found this little bugger too.

The top individual is a dusky, but not the bottom, which is likely a leadback (I think it is P. serratus) in the southeast. The dusky is not auriculatus, which is the only species to have large white portholes extend along their sides. I would have to look at the underside of the dusky, but it nearly looks like a blackbelly (D. quadramaculata), which are common in eastern TN.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back