Axie Not growing

BumbleBee

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I hav had my axie since 2006 and she has not grown. she is really thin and has hardly any feathers on her gills.

Wat is wrong wif her?

Am i not feeding her enough? (usually five pellets every 2nd day)

Please help,

BB

If you're only feeding her pellets then no she's obviously not getting enough food. Do you ever feed anything else? Earthworms are about the best staple food for axolotls and can be purchased from a Bunnings or similar hardware store/garden centre that sells worm farms/compost bins. Or if they don't sell them (the worms) they should be able to give you a list of people that do sell worms for wormfarms.

How long have you had her (when in 2006)?

What size tank (measurements) and are there any other companions? Also, what substrate do you use?

How large is she (lengthwise)?

Most importantly have you tested your tankwater for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates and what is your tank temperature?

The latter could be the reason she doesn't have any gills if the water quality is poor - how often do you waterchange and how much?

Not growing

Hi again,

She is about 17.5cm in length.

the tank is 60cm lenth x 34cm height x 32cm width and the water height is around 32cm.

we cant work out the temprature(soz cant spell) as my gage thingy doesnt work.

and i will try and add earth worms to her diet.

thanx for the advice,

BB

Attachments

• Peppy A.jpg
    Peppy A.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Peppy B.jpg
    Peppy B.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Peppy C.jpg
    Peppy C.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 192
You need a thermometer - so buy one since your current one doesn't work - otherwise your axolotl will get stressed, if she isn't already, can develop fungus and/or will get sick.

As for water testing - if you don't have the test kits - take a sample of tankwater to your petshop and ask them to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and record the figures. Basically if ammonia or nitrItes are over 0 you need to do frequent partial waterchanges (20-30% only).

What is that dark thing in the second photo?

Does she have any hides/caves? -If not add at least one or partially cover her tank so she has somewhere to retreat.

Other foods you can use are = garden slaters (woodlice), snails (break the shells before adding) or slugs - just make sure that pesticides aren't used in the garden. Also, frozen bloodworm cube - thaw the cube and give it a rinse before dropping it in the tank. And another alternative food which should only be fed occasionally but might help fatten her up a bit are wormlike strips of red meat (liver, heart, steak, snitzel).

I feed my Axie on earthworms only every second day which I dig from the garden. Some of the worms are 10cms long and fat. He just polishes them off. I have had him for 4 months and he is now huge. Everyone who sees him cant believe how big he has grown. His gills which were short and stumpy are starting to grow too.

not growing

thanx, it is a fake anchor. usually she has a pot. i will try and buy something

BB

your axie doesnt seem well. gills are diminished and very skinny. Top crest isnt visible.

not growing

i know.

so if u have any info feel free to email me at sthompson1995@hotmail.com

i have tested her water and its fine but i need to up her diet and hiding spaces

thanx,

BB

I will second Kapo on the thermometer issue, you really must get one, that could be the key to the problems.

Hi Bumble Bee,

I feel that you need to change your axies diet as suggested and may be step up your feeding to daily small feeds until there is some weight increase.

I feed my axies predominantly a store bought mix of beef liver and heart some insects and vitamins and minerals all ground up and frozen into cubes. I don't know if such a thing exists in Aussie but it is called axie tucker here and my axies love it. All of them are a healthy size and weight.

Good Luck

When buying worms from places like bunnings find out what kind they are. Tiger worms( Eisenia fetida ) are commonly used and are known to release a distasteful liquid with an unpleasant odour as a defense. Most fish won't eat them (found that out after I used them as fishing bait:mad: )so I would guess that some axies may also refuse.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back