Hi Kids!

snaxalotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jodi Cabrera
Hiya... I'm Jodi from the Gold Coast in sunny Queensland. I'm not new but haven't logged on for a long time now. I've popped in here and there to gather information but couldn't remember my password!

My daughter and I have had our lovely axolotl Don Juan for almost 2 years now - we got him/her (i'm sure he's a male) in April 05 for her 9th birthday along with another little sucker. Unfortunately Don Juan ate that one!

We did get another golden one after that but unfortunately lost him (or her, again I'm not sure) last summer. Even though we moved him to the fridge I think it was a little too late - we couldn't get him to eat for the longest time.

I'm surprised how well we have gone with Don Juan - he did get a fungal infection last summer and I almost wondered if it had to do with moving and a change of the water during summer???

This year he's okay but this weekend here in Australia it's really really hot. We've put him in the fridge cos his tank registered 27C this morning but I'm quite worried I'm going to freeze him to death!

There is still sooooo much I don't know about them and I've only learnt from this forum - my thanks to all of you out there who are well educated...

Anyway, Cheers... Any advice at any time is always appreciated!
Jodi and Kendrah

Heyah welcome :D Yeah today was a scorcher wasn't it! I was so worried about my axies I was on my partner all day to set up the chiller lol. Nice to meet you.

Aha! Someone not so far away from me! Hi MistressofAxies!!! Well I'm happy to say the Don is happily floating about in the fridge and I've taken the opportunity to give his tank a good clean out while he's out.

And thanks Dawn O bout the username... It's what he's been referred to since day one after eating poor Pablo...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back