Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

College Lotls

ben_tajer

Reaction score
Last time I posted on here was because I went off to College, and I was forced to donate my Caudate Collection to a pet store. I can only hope they're in good hands now. Luckily (or somewhat unluckily if you look at my rent bill) I live in a private dorm which lets me keep animals that won't go out of the water. A week ago, well actually 6 days ago my uncle gave me two year old axies, one wildtype male about 9.5 inches, and an albino/golden female about 9 inches. I put them together in a large 100 liter storage tube, yesterday I caught them breeding, today the female seems to be "practice laying", but not actually laying anything. A couple basic questions:

How many eggs should a year old 9 inch long female lay?
Update* As I type the first egg has been laid
How should babies be kept, I here their a little more cannibalistic than other caudate larvae?
Is anyone in the madison/chicago/wisconsin area who could be a possible summer/spring break baby sitter for my axies or maybe a potential egg/baby purchaser?
Spermatophores are lying all over the tank, should these be cleaned up?
Right now she's just laying on plants, but should I look in between rocks as well?

Looks like my second semester's going to be much busier than my first.

I might have photo's up eventually, but this depends on when I finnish my homework.

Last edited:

ben_tajer

Reaction score
OK, well now it's been taking a while there are quite a few eggs in there. How long will she go for. I plan to remove the adults once all the eggs are laid, but reading John's page it seems like there could be a lot more coming. Is there any way for me to reasonably know when she's done?

Jake

Reaction score
They can lay eggs over the course of a few days. She can lay hundreds of them.

You'll know she's done when the number of eggs quits increacing, and when they quit coming out of her.

Good luck with them, and study axolotl.org/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1