Tank Setup Advice Needed.

BumbleBee

Reaction score
Country
Australia
HI all,

My tank is currently plain as im stuck on wat to do. heres a pic the only ideas i hav r-
*chiller as i liv in australia in a hotter climate
*floating plants
*cave or pvc pipe (wat quantity?)
*Spray bar filter (wat is this exactly?)

I currently hav in Pepper's Tank-
*Pebbles
*sometimes a pot (which she like never sits in)
*A out of water filter
*A bubbler for airation

Thanx,

BB

Attachments

• Pepper B 001_0001.jpg
    Pepper B 001_0001.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 283
Ok a few comments regarding your tank set up:

-Chillers are expensive, often noisy and they consume a lot of power. If you are cool with those things then get a refrigerated one (not a peltier[SIZE=-1]) as they are better at cooling. How hot does your tank get? Like how much do you need to cool it by? Also bare in mind that it is often much cheaper to order a chiller from the US than through a pet store here but you might need to convert it to work with Australian power as many of them don't. This isn't hard to do if you know any electricians! Else you could probably take it to a place like Jaycar.

Not sure where in Australia you are but if money is a concern then I have found using ice bottles and fridging my axolotls to be adequate for summer.
[/SIZE]
-Unfortunately it is very difficult to maintain live plants in an aquarium with axolotls. Plants need light, and axolotls are nocturnal and need cooler waters. You can use aquarium lights but if temperature is a concern then don't use lights, which usually means you can't keep plants alive.

- PVC pipe/cave - just get one big enough for your axolotl to hide in, pick one you think looks nice

- Spray bar - is your filter current strong? If not, don't worry about a spray bar. If it is, then you can buy spray bars from an aquarium though they are a bit of a rip off as you can make them yourself. There are many ways to make them yourself but my friend made them by getting a piece of plastic tubing and poking holes in it, then fitted to the filter. I found a pic on another thread of something similar: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52065&highlight=spray+bar (check out post 7[SIZE=-1])

Hope that helps!
[/SIZE]

i have used a mixture of plastic and silk plants in my tank,don't really get on with live plants as I don't keep the tank lit enough. I chose plants that the axolotls could climb if they wished and also some silk ones that have fairly large leaves almost like lily pads, and have twisted these so they provide some light cover(like mini parasols). I'm also careful to choose plants that don't have sharp spikes so the axies won't injure their skin or eyes on them.
Cave wise I bought a piece of corner guttering and covered it with rocks so it looks more natural, with this they also have a front exit and side exit and they are able to turn round inside so its ideal for them. Good luck with your tank and don't be afraid to use your imagination. Anything you're not sure of just ask!:D

thanx,

i got loads of pvc pipe at home so i can make a tube cave.

dad can proabably whip sumthin up

Tah,

BumbleBee

Hi Bumblebee have a look at the tanks and setups in the gallery there are some cool ideas that might give you some inspiration.

Try using the pot base/plate or rock to half cover the entrance.I have done this to both my pots and the axies seem to love hiding in there .

Attachments

• GILLY.jpg
    GILLY.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 192
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back