Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotl eats plants?

Teun

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my axolotl for a while now, and I discovered something weird. My axolotl tries to eat drowning plants that are in my aquarium now. He seems to have a little trouble doing it, and I thought axolotls don't eat plants? :confused:

I removed them from my aquarium now, because I'm a little worried about this. Will this do him any harm? Thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls will eat anything that moves. This includes fingers, other axolotls, and plants. Mine bite their silk plants all the time.

It may cause indigestion, or extra or funny looking feces, but I don't think it causes serious issues, as long as the plants aren't toxic.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Teun,

There may be food scraps on your plants. Have you noticed how violent and inacurate an axies lunges for food can be?

It is likely that it is getting your plants by mistake.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I was thinking of posting a vegetarian axolotl thread but this one has beaten me to it!

Mine eat watercress leaves and stems frequently judging by the way their droppings unwind into a mass of fibre. I suspect they are going for the older leaves which are rotting and being eaten by a tiny daphnia like crustacean (exact species undetermined). They sometimes used to take bites out of water-lily leaves but here the target was small ramshorn snails (Planorbis planorbis) which they have eaten down to the verge of extinction. They remain fit and healthy and seem to need less food than most people advise to thrive. I'm not sure how much nourishment they are getting from the plant material but think it is a significant portion of their diet in my plant choked tank.

I don't think you need worry about harm if the plants are not too toxic.

Casaloxl

Reaction score
my axies regularily munch on some vallis if they dont feel like eating it, they just spit it back out, otherwise what goes in comes out..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1