Vacationing Question

Jumpshot724

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be taking a vacation for a full week this comming June. I was wondering how you deal with FBTs while you're away. Obvi I could find a "babysitter" but instead of giving someone else the hassle is there anything that I could do so that they can survive the week unattended? If I put a week's worth of crickets in there will they eat till they explode? i'm just tryin to figure this out ahead of time so that when June rolls around I'm not scrambling for ideas.

I would feed them like normal as you approach the week you will be gone, possibly feed a bit more often. Then I would change their water, do any other maintenance and then leave them alone for the week. They should be fine for that long without food.

Adding a mess of crickets may cause problems if they decide to try to munch on toads when they get hungry. A week without food should be no problem for firebelly toads.

Adding a mess of crickets may cause problems if they decide to try to munch on toads when they get hungry. A week without food should be no problem for firebelly toads.

Yea I was afraid of that, I just didn't know if they could goa week without eating. Good to know, thanks!

As long as the animal is healthy and well fed a short starve period never hurts.

I have a friend who keeps assorted reptiles, he's built some very simple tubs with hinged bottoms held closed with a small electro magnet(he's trained as an electrician, but its quite simple) wired up to a cheap 12v adaptor on a standard plug in household timer.
Sucker feet to stick them to the side of the tank(about half way up), a serving of crixs with a little food(couple of slices of fruit dusted with oats) and a damp sponge. Timer goes off, bottom opens, whole lot is dumped in the tank.

The crix can survive easily for a week at least, or for animals which require feeding twice daily you can use them and only have to bother with one lot of food preperation a day. This seems to work fine for his Rhino Iguana, Red Tegus, 4 Beardies and 80 or so assorted Gecko's, I dont see it being a problem with toads.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back