newt to Identify

piter

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hey,
I am new here, and I am from Europe. I have a lot of different reptiles but I am somehow interested in newts too. My tank is 240l and I have a lot of newts in that tank. I bought some new newts today and I am not sure witch one is that:

IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

I am not sure. Is he Japanese firebelly or chinese firebelly or somethink alse? I dont know, I think that is the only ugly newt:D

IMG_3909-1.jpg

Which species are those?

tnx:wink:

Love the mean look in the second photo, I want one!
Dont think its a Cynops, Paramesotriton perhaps(I'm not at all familiar with the genus tbh)?

I think the lower of the circled pair in your second photo is a chinese firebelly.

There are a number of articles and photos on Caudata Culture you should check out to help with ID.
Theres one about species mixing mishaps I suggest you look at as well, but I'd seperate out at least the 3 smaller newts immediatley(before they get eaten) - dont want to spook you but newts in general will eat anything live and moving that will fit in their mouths, be that live food, or tank mates. Your smaller newts may well have trouble getting a fair share of food, too.

Last edited:
I believe the one in the first picture belongs to the parmesotriton family or warty newts (I hope I spelled that right), maybe P.fuzhongensis? In the bottom picture, the one next to it is C.orientalis. I hope this helps!:D

P.S.
I think keeping all those different newts together in the same tank is a disaster waiting to happen.

I know some people who have those newts together, and if there is always enough food, there shouldn be any problems.
But I wont have them together if u think that there will be a disaster;) I have some more tanks... tnx

That's probably a smart idea. Many people mix species for years with no problem, only to have one of their newts "disappear" later. Your ribbed newt is enormous compared to your little Chinese firebelly newts, he might decide they make a tasty snack.

Your ribbed newt is enormous compared to your little Chinese firebelly newts

I think 'bitesize' is the technical term!

Been looking at the articles on CC, Paramesotriton chinensis?

Species mixing is possible, though not recommended. If your going to do it it should be with a limited number of similarly sized animals, which obviously have the same living requirements, but space for both.

Definitely Paramesotriton (the first one)
And definitely a tragedy waiting to happen there...
Paramesotriton, pleurodeles and cynops together sounds like one of the worst cases of species mixing i ever heard man....i would really recomend you listen to the nice people here who are suggesting separating them in singles species aquariums...really...

Come on, stop panic!! I separated them yesterday, where is the problem?!?

Hi Piter,
There's no problem now. People just get very excited about newts around here, their own, and other people's too! They are just trying to show care. Your newts all look great.

That Paramesotriton is definately P.Chinensis

What is the difference between Paramesotriton chinensis male and female? Tnx for answer:rolleyes:

males wander around the tank lost because they won't stop and ask directions, females are the ones who rarely miss an opportunity to remind them of their weaknesses...(jk) it's often hard to tell outside of breeding, when males will develop a bluish sheen on their tails. Definitely (as definite as any Paramesotriton ID is) P. chinensis. With both highly aggressive Pleurodeles and Paramesotritons in the tank, there's trouble brewing eventually, but I'm figuring you've already heard this a lot...

With both highly aggressive Pleurodeles and Paramesotritons in the tank, there's trouble brewing eventually, but I'm figuring you've already heard this a lot...

Dammit, i cant take that any more. I didnt come here to get the same bloody message from 15 different people. I separated them as soon as I read Nathan050793`s post and they were together just one day... Now everybody panic like i would kill somebody:mad:

Oo, and thanks for answer!:wink:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back