My tank

piter

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hey,
I will show you my tank for newts. The tank is 240l.

IMG_3909.jpg

land

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

Ugly one

IMG_3912.jpg

Nice fat budy

IMG_3919.jpg

What do you think about it?

P.S. more photos tomorrow

Peter

Whats that, about 3 or 4 different species? Thats a no no...

I love the wood and moss, I'd loose the crocodile ornament, though. You got quite a nice simple natural looking setup there and it looks out of place.

I will separate them now, dont panic:tongue:

I love the wood and moss, I'd loose the crocodile ornament, though. You got quite a nice simple natural looking setup there and it looks out of place.

I disagree. The crocodile ornament is so bold and crazy that it gives the tank a lot of character, otherwise it would just be your typical nature set up. Chucking in the croc gives the set up some bite to it.

On the other hand, I'm an 18 year old guy with no real sense of style, just because I think adding such an ornament to a tank gives it personality and a sense of humor, doesn't mean that it's tasteful.

great tank with or without the croc! I would be very interested in where you found the bark you are using for your land. I have not had any luck in locating it.

Its cork bark. I bout it in wienna, its not easy to found

radtad, have you tried pet stores that stock amphibians and reptiles?
Not sure about the US, but over here 'big chain' stores tend to have lots of horrid little man made ornaments where as smaller independant shops always seem to have heaps of the stuff.

Even if its difficult to find I cant recommend it enough - cork is a marvelous building material for vivs and such.

cork bark

You may want to try Black Jungle. I am sure they have lots of cork bark in different shapes and sizes.

Can I ask you something. My frend has got about 5 species together for some years now and there is no problem, he even has some babys and adults don`t eat them. How can that be? He told me that it is ok if there is enought food.

I'm suprised, it doesnt normally work like that.
In any case theres a big difference between living and surviving.

Lasher, I think you mean a difference between surviving and thriving.

Sometimes things work out like that for a while, then one day, out of the blue there is a tragedy. Sometimes nothing happens. It also really depends on the species that are being mixed, as well as the size of the tank they are being kept in.

Spanish newts - Pleurodeles waltl
Triturus alpestris
"red cynops orientalis"
Triturus carnifex
Triturus marmoratus
Tylototriton verrucosus

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'll try not to be too preachy here, but even if he's kept those together for years that still seems like a bad combination. I'm surprised that the other newts can withstand the toxins of the tylotriton, not to mention the potential for disease, or the fact that P watl grows to a much larger size than the other species, up to a length three to four times as long as the orientalis - I've fed longer worms to P watl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back