Salamander problem

Sallylover12

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Beth
I have found these two salamanders and I have done some
research...I am pretty sure that they are either Oregon Ensatina or Monterey Ensatina. But I guess I am just not very good at it...i cant seem to find what they will eat...

Attachments

• IMG_9106.jpg
    IMG_9106.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 180
My large group of ensatinas would readily take crickets any day, but if you cant get yours to eat, I would suggest you put them back where they came from. I also suggest that you let them settle in to the new environment before offering any food.

They seem too dark to be montereys, but not colorful to be oregons. Could you post some more pictures?

What region did you find them? That may also give us a clue. I agree with Bruno though, if you're not ready for them put them back.

I have found these two salamanders and I have done some
research...I am pretty sure that they are either Oregon Ensatina or Monterey Ensatina. But I guess I am just not very good at it...i cant seem to find what they will eat...
Sals are carnivorous and feed on live food,,, size-appropriate. For a small sal, pin-head or small crickets, springtails, fruitflies, or pieces of earthworm would be good food items. For thin animals, waxworms or pieces thereof (again depending on sal size) would be a consideration. The larger the sal, the larger the prey size can be.

So they liked worms...I tried Mealworms...and they didn't like those at all...they are doing great now though. Thanks a lot for the help. I have another question though. Do they hibernate?

So they liked worms...I tried Mealworms...and they didn't like those at all...they are doing great now though. Thanks a lot for the help. I have another question though. Do they hibernate?
Sals do not hibernate. During cold periods there may be reduced activity, but they do not hibernate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back