Help finding food for hatchlings

princessjlk10

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found some unexpected eggs in my axolotl tank about 4 days ago. We are very excited, However we are having problems finding food for the hatchlings. My fiance just lost his job so money is very tight. We used to have a pet shop about an hour away that sold water daphnia but they went out of business. We have looked online but the cultures we have found are too expensive. It is winter where we live (Michigan) so nurserys aren't selling pond plants and all the ponds are iced over. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you're in the greater Lansing area, Preuss pets sells blackworms, which can be chopped up into tiny pieces. Or if you're really desperate (and in the Lansing area, still), I can help you out with some daphnia (I have tons). You'd have to pick them up before Saturday night though. Send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Edit: additionally, I really don't recommend raising more than a dozen or so. I have spent almost 3 months trying to rehome 60 eggs I found the beginning of December.

I live in Grand Rapids but would be willing to travel if i had to. I have probably Around 100+ eggs.

I wouldn't remove more than a dozen from the tank to raise. Getting rid of 100+ will be a nightmare. TRUST ME! It may seem cruel, but leaving most of them in the tank to be eaten by the parents, or culling them early is the best thing to do. If you try to raise 100 eggs, in 6 months, you'll still have 50 juveniles in 6 months. On top of that, you'll have a hard time keeping enough food around to raise that many larvae. They eat tons. It's expensive.

PM me and maybe we can arrange something. I leave for Tennessee early Sunday morning, but Friday or Saturday afternoon, we could meet halfway or something. Additionally, tomorrow night is MSU Herp Club's big "Herp Night" open house, if you want another excuse to come down :) It's free! I can bring some daphnia there, and I'll have some of my babies there.

you can get microworm cultures on e-bay for really cheap.
once you have some, you can rapidly perpetuate them on yeast and oatmeal

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back