Finding a filter in the UK

Levo

Reaction score
Country
England
Last week I nipped around some of the aqurium shops and pet shops to find a filter and when I asked them for a mini canister filter they looked at me funny. Anyways I ended up getting an internal filter because one particular shop was using it for their own axolotl but when I set it up with spray bar against the glass the water flow was too much for Darwin.

So basically does anyone know where I can get a decent filter at a reasonable price? I have upped the water in the tank thinking that the more water then it would reduce the water flow towards the bottom of the tank so there is about 25 litres in at the moment. It seems to me all the shops I went to all stocked the same filters.

Have you tried fitting a spraybar to the outlet, it'll slow the turbulence significantly and even more if you face it towards the rear glass.

Yeah I did that but it was still stressing Darwin out.

it seems to depend where you are as to what the shops stock.
my local aquarists? if thats the word lol, are very good, they have a large variety of internal and external filtration systems.
i place my spray bar against the glass holes pointing upwards, i have found this really deadens the flow, espescially if you pop a couple of plants under as well.

If you can restrict the Intake side with a sponge it will also reduce flow , but dont go overboard as it will put more load on the pump.

Well I decided to splash some cash again and buy the Zoo Med 501 Mini Canister they are expensive compared to the ones I seen in the pet shops and the one I already had, but if it saves me hassle in the long run I am more then happy.

It seems to be highly recommended around these parts.

Glad you got things sorted ,hope all goes well in the future

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back