Hoping to get my first axie soon

intet

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Display Name
axolotl
And in that case, I have many questions!:eek:
Is it OK for an axie to live alone? I know they have to be approx. the same size if they should live together, but do an axie get lonely if s/he lives alone? I hope not.. :sick:

I've heard/read that you should put the axie in the fridge to slow down the metabolism if they're stressed, sick etc. In that case, what should I put the axie in? A little bowl? :eek:

How often and how do you clean out the tank? How to wash the interiour and the sand (I suppose you have to clean out everything sometimes)
Is it possible to use a tank without filter?
What kind of plants can be used in the tank?

I might have to come back with further questions.

Excuse my english - I'm from Norway. :rolleyes:

Study www.axolotl.org/ it will give you a detailed description of what you need to do, and if you still have questions, post again.

Hi Intet, I would do as Jake suggests and also welcome to the site.

Thanks, I've read it twice.. :D
And still I have those questions. *embarressed*

-Axolotls don't get lonely on their own. If you get another axolotl, yes, you are right - make sure they are similar sizes as big ones can nip at smaller ones.
-Bowl is fine. I usually put mine in a 3L container, half full. Tuppaware containers from the supermarket (or icecream ones) are handy.
-Cleaning the tank: If you have a filter and your tank is cycled I think 20% water changes once a week is adequate. If you have no filter then 20% water changes daily or every second day - this is similar to the water changes you might have to do when your tank is cycling even if you have a filter.
-Can you use a tank without a filter: Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it as you need to put a lot more work into maintaining the water quality. As I said above, 20% water change each day or second day. I think a filter is a really good idea and I'd encourage you to get one if the budget allows. Just make sure you get one that does not move the water too much as too much flow can stress out your axolotl.
-Plants might be hard to keep in an axie tank as they need sunlight, whereas axolotls are nocturnal so your plants may die from the lack of light. I am not sure if there are plants you can't use... I have used a bunch of plants from the aquarium with no hassle (until they eventually died!) but have no idea of their names sorry! The floating plants were better as my axolotl couldn't dig them up like the other plants (they often do this :) )

Anyway, hope that helps!

Edit: forgot to answer one of your questions! Anyway to clean the tank, a siphon hose is great. You can suck up all the waste that way. To clean ornaments and the filter I use a bucket of tank water (don't use normal water) and wash it out in there. If you suck up some sand, which is likely, you can wash it out and put it back in the tank. For spot cleans (i.e. for poo, or uneaten food) a turkey baster is good.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Sarah!
Those were really helpfull answers! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back