Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GBR Press: ‘Parachuted newts’ sway planners

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
WESTERN MAIL (Cardiff, UK) 26 February 08 ‘Parachuted newts’ sway planners (Rhodri Clark)
Rare newts are being “parachuted” onto controversial development sites far from their natural habitats in a bid to influence planning disputes, it was claimed yesterday.
Millions of pounds have been spent providing alternative habitats for great crested newts and other protected species found on sites earmarked for construction.
But experts last night said the small amphibians were now actively being used as “weapons” in bitter planning tussles.
Scott Felton, a former water keeper of Colwyn Bay, helped a local residents’ association develop plans to turn the neglected Eirias Park lake into a fishery.
However, stocking the lake with fish has been put on hold after great crested newts, protected under the European Habitats Directive, were spotted there.
Mr Felton, who managed lake fisheries in Merseyside, claimed the newts may have been introduced by someone who objected either to angling or to an alternative proposal to drain the lake and build on its site. He said the newts’ nearest known breeding site was four miles away, past urban streets.
“You’re talking about newts not only travelling that distance, but travelling in sufficient numbers to create a viable population,” said Mr Felton, whose father was a zoologist. “Everything is wrong about the habitat in Eirias Park. These newts colonise ponds like the Polynesians colonised the Pacific by island hopping.”
Great crested newts would have to run a gauntlet of predators to reach their new North Wales home. “There are places where they can get out of the lake at Eirias Park, but they’d have to cross hundreds of yards of mown grass to get to the nearest cover. If a gull saw one it would eat it straight away. The place is overrun with rats, which eat newts and frogs.
“Great crested newts lay their eggs singly and fold a leaf around the egg for protection. They have to have the right sort of weed in the pond. As far as I’m aware, that sort of weed isn’t found in Eirias Park lake. I think these newts have been put there.
“I would love to see great crested newts all over the place. They’re an important part of the wildlife of this country, but they shouldn’t be used as weapons.
“It’s amazing how these animals are so scarce yet they inevitably appear where people are objecting to development. I’m sure that in some cases they’re being moved, which isn’t ethical.”
His claims were echoed by a Welsh property developer who claimed great crested newts were now appearing wherever his company planned to build. The developer, who did not want to be named, said, “We do have suspicions. We put two and two together. We’re seen as the big bad developers. It’s getting more difficult. The newts appear to be everywhere.”
The appearance of newts can spell huge losses to developers. This month Cheshire councillors wrote to the Government questioning habitat rules after their council spent £60,000 rehousing four great crested newts. Last month Leicestershire council announced a three-month delay to a £15m road scheme while great crested newts are moved, at a cost of up to £1.7m. And 26 new homes in Trefnant, Denbighshire, were delayed six months while a £140,000 habitat was created for two great crested newts.
But seasoned anti-roads campaigner Rebecca Lush Blum said, “This is a typical smear tactic by developers. Environmentalists wouldn’t dream of moving and potentially endangering a protected species.”
The Countryside Council for Wales was not aware of great crested newts in Eirias Park. Species officer Matthew Ellis said, “However, the presence of the newts may not necessarily prevent the use of this pond for fishing purposes. CCW would be happy to work with those involved to discuss a constructive way ahead.”
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news...arachuted-newts-sway-planners-91466-20522880/

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Much as I would be against 'parachuting' crested newts as a weapon against developers, I think that this must occasionally happen! However, in this case, four miles isn't really all that far, and I am sure there are newt-friendly gardens etc in between. Despite his father's profession, Mr Felton seems to have forgotten that gulls hunt during the day and newts tend to move around at night and that rats probably wouldn't eat a toxic amphibian all that readily......

freves

Reaction score
I do not buy that either. It is kind of funny though. I spent a bit of time on my uncles farm growing up. I of course left no stone unturned or creek or pond unchecked in my search for critters. One year Notopthalmus filled one pond after never having been there before. Now that I think of it I did spot a bunch of tiny prachutes on the shore....
Chip

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Historical Context - Parachuting Newts

As a soldier, it behooves me to confirm as best I can the concept of 'parachuting newts'.

The sole legitimate source on the subject that I have been able to research to date (The War With The Newts by Karel Čapek) indicates that while newts may have developed with our assistance flight or airlift capability*1, they have not in fact deployed parachuting newts anytime in the past.

In fact, given the success of newts seem to have enjoyed historically in protecting themselves from and retaliating against air-launched effects *2, there seems to be no substantiation to support the premises that newts are in any way interested in being involved in air-capable movement, let alone parachuting specifically.

I must assess the premise of parachuting newts as 'unlikely'.

*1 So now we see the newts on the way to their greatest flowering; but the world of human beings, too, was enjoying unprecedented prosperity. New continents were planned out with great enthusiasm, shallow waters were converted to dry land, and artificial islands for aeroplanes appeared in the middle of the oceans …

*2 Armies fired into the water with their cannons and machine guns but without, it seemed, doing the newts any serious harm; although the bombs dropped into the sea from aircraft seemed somewhat more successful. The newts responded by firing on British ports from their underwater cannons, reducing them to piles of rubble.

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/capek/karel/newts/complete.html

There appears however to be anecdotal evidence that American Newts in the New York area did participate in parachuting, but there is no indication that this activity was copied by their European peers. Please note however, that there is no reference to the newts engaging in anti-construction counter-operations after their (apparently) successful landing.

Restless on my wrist,
newts parachute, plummet and wiggle-whip
beneath a bouquet of rotting leaves.

m e m o r y p a r a d e by Dennis Wayne Bressack
(http://www.dennisbressack.com/poems/parade.html)

Though not parachute related, newts were involved in exploring space travel when ten draftees participated in the Bion 7 (Cosmos 1667) biomedical research mission satellite involving scientists from nine countries. The Pleurodeles waltl newts had part of their front limbs amputated and their crystalline lenses removed to study the possible rate of human recovery from injuries incurred in space. The mission was recovered after seven days. It remains unknown if knowledge these newts gained by their participation in the Russian space program was used to assist in the development of a British newt parachute capability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bion_7

I now return you to your regular programming.

respectfully;

Wes

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Great crested newts would have to run a gauntlet of predators to reach their new North Wales home. “There are places where they can get out of the lake at Eirias Park, but they’d have to cross hundreds of yards of mown grass to get to the nearest cover. If a gull saw one it would eat it straight away. The place is overrun with rats, which eat newts and frogs.
Bless his heart. I don't doubt that GCNs have been used to prevent development but I would think it's very rare. I think in his ignorance Mr. Felton (and he's not alone, again, bless his heart) is unaware that England and Wales are the international stronghold of the GCN. They are not a truly rare species (like those blue butterflies or the corncrake). They are particularly vulnerable to man's activities though and if the population in the UK goes bye-bye then there could be real trouble because it's not an abundant species elsewhere in Northern Europe.

said Mr Felton, whose father was a zoologist.
My father was a customs and excise office for forty+ years. I should put that on my CV, following this article's logic.

Jake

Reaction score
“Great crested newts lay their eggs singly and fold a leaf around the egg for protection. They have to have the right sort of weed in the pond. As far as I’m aware, that sort of weed isn’t found in Eirias Park lake. I think these newts have been put there.

That's pretty crazy! I've never heard of this 'right sort of weed' before. My crested newts seem just as happy laying eggs in plastic or even on a clump of string.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a case of "Open Mouth, Insert Great Crested Newt".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1