Please Help!!!

Atl

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Ok, I've been trying to mantain my axies safe, but since 2 or 3 weeks they haven't eaten anything!!:sad:
They are skiny, and their gills has been reeduced, as burned, and they have few "hairs" on them, now they are eating almost nothing... I don't know what to do!!:confused: I'm always trying to mantain the water under 20ºC, and to minimalize the most "vibration" of it because of the air pump... but still, they aren't healthy..:eek:
PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi Atl,

there are a few things that could be stressing out your axolotls so check out these and post back here to help people work out what is wrong:
-What are your water parameters? Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? They should be 0/0/10-40
-Does the temperature fluctuate a lot? And does it often go above 20C? Temperatures should be kept stable
-Does your air pump or filter create a lot of flow in the tank? Axolotls do not like a lot of water flow.
-What have you been using to feed them?

How long have you had your axies and how big is the tank?

Anyway, are the hairs cottony? It could be fungus, so your best bed is to give them salt baths and refridgerate them until their health starts to improve.

Hi Atl your water temperature sounds ok although 18C is good is you can maintain it.

It feels like you have a water quality issue maybe too much ammonia. Do you test your water? In the short term try 20-30% water changes every second day and get increase your tank cleaning to daily cleans you may have a build up of waste.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back