Hello

herplvr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Just would like to introduce myself and tell y'all about my history with caudates.

I've only kept three species of salamanders and newts: southern two-lined salamanders (Eurycea cirrigera), eastern newts (Notophthalmus viridescens), and fire-belly newts (Cynops orientalis). I currently only have a couple of S. two-lines, a male and a female, but I'm hoping to get some more eastern newts this spring and summer, as well as other salamander and newt species (yes, I have checked my laws and contacted someone with the DNR about collecting local herps). My female is gravid, so I'm expecting some eggs soon. This is the first time I've bred sallies before, so I'm excited. :D

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome! We especially love hearing about breeding successes, so any pictures and updates you care to post on your gravid female will find a very attentive audience!
I have a couple E. bislineata that I'm hoping might lay some eggs this season...

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping to get some pictures of the eggs and of the larvae throughout developement. This is her second time being gravid, but I was keeping her with some small fish and they ate the eggs. :( But I'm hoping to get this batch to hatch, as the male is the only other living thing in the tank now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back