Broken leg

storm

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi
I have just finished cleaning the tank and I suspect that my axies leg got caught under a rock. Crumbs if it was me, I will never forgive myself. Anyway he is moving around with his back right leg tucked up under him, I think it is broken. He is about 12 years old and I wondered if there is anything I can do for the poor old guy.:(

Have you any idea how long it may have been like this?
I think I would just keep an eye on it for a day or 2. One of my axies had a similar thing a while ago, my eldest axie was standing on a worm which the other was trying to eat, unfortunately the older axies leg ended up in the mouth of the other whilst it was attempting to get the worm. She held it close to her body and did not use it for half the day and it did look bruised, I honestly thought it had been broken. The next day however she was back to normal as if it had never happened.
Is your axie kept on its own?

Hi thanks for the reply.
Not too sure when it happened thats why I am suspecting it was me.
He just ate some liver so I am hoping its a good sign but he keeps falling over on the side that the leg is damaged - good god my nerves!
I do have 3 little goldies in there that dont bother with him. They were originally food but as the last survivors they have now outgrown his capabilities. Will remove them tomorrow as I dont think any stress will help this leg mending itself. Not like I could take it to anyone here in SA to fix.
Thank you for the quote it cheered me up a bit.

Hi storm if there are no obvious issues with the leg I suggest leave it. Providing your axie is still mobile and not in distress.

12 years is a good age for an axie

Hi

Should I try and look under the leg. It is pulled right up under him so I cannot see if there are any cuts etc. Dont really want to touch him and freak him out if not necessary. Oh boy this is as bad as having kids (which I have 3 of!)

Just for the record, my Axie can go for 3 weeks without eating in summer here in SA. He has been doing this for years. would never eat daily or even more than twice a week. The water stays at 16 - 20 Celsius. In winter he eats no problem and is at his happiest., (water at about 10 Celsius) but still wont eat more than twice a week. I have tried for years. I feed him by hand and if he is not up to it he turns away and if he does want it he swims to me the moment I lift the lid off and submerge my hand. I read about all these people feeding every day and am TOTALLY freaked out!

Pse tell me more about Flagyl and where I could get it as I have asked some pet shops here and they look at me as if I have been drinking........never mind they dont know what an Axolotl is!

I dont know enough about medications to advise you other then that flagyl is used to treat bacterial and parasitic infection and unless your axolotl is showing signs of this I would leave alone.
I wouldnt try to look under the leg, you may freak your axie out and it may cause further damage. Time can be a good healer sometimes, just keep an eye for any fungus or obvious redness/sores.

Flagyl

Hi - thank you.
I was sure I read somewhere on this site that Flagyl can be used to increase appetite? If not what can I give him?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back