No feet

Plonk

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Plonk
I just picked up me 2 baby axolotls from the aquarium and they have no feet. The guy there told me that this happens when they are babies. There were 2 other babies in the tank when I picked then up. Is he telling the truth or is he lying to me?

I just picked up me 2 baby axolotls from the aquarium and they have no feet. The guy there told me that this happens when they are babies. There were 2 other babies in the tank when I picked then up. Is he telling the truth or is he lying to me?

Well the guy didn't totally lie to you...

Most of my axolotls keep their feet, but the ones in pet stores are often kept in cramped conditions and underfed, so they bite each others feet off. Fortunately for the axolotls, they can regenerate most body parts.

Have you read www.axolotl.org/ yet? It's a very useful site to any axolotl keeper.

That can happen in any tank - axie larvae get mistaken for passing food and get nipped/bitten limbs or tail. This can also happen with larger/adult axolotls if there are too many in a tank.

How big are your axolotls?

Yea I got my axolotl with no legs when I bought him for an aquarium. He just had little stumps. They grew back over a few months relatively normally so yours should be fine. :)

That can happen in any tank - axie larvae get mistaken for passing food and get nipped/bitten limbs or tail. This can also happen with larger/adult axolotls if there are too many in a tank.

How big are your axolotls?

They are about 8cm long

It does sound like they have been nibbled on...one of mine has very neatly trimmed gills . These will grow back in next to no time...keep watch and you'll suddenly notice they are starting to get toes again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back