Injured juvies, advice?

damien

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Display Name
Danny
I have 6 juvies in a waaaaay too small container (40*20*30, while they are about 12cm)(they are moving to a new owner soon, took me a lot of trouble to find a new owner), but everything went perfectly fine until a few days ago.
I was happy that dispite the small housing, they didn't bother eachother, but when I checked a few days ago 3 of them were injured.
1 lost a gill which already seems to be regenerating. No real problem for that one.
The other one lost a bit of his tail, but it doesn't seem to be thát bad. I don't think the bones were touched.
the 3rd one kind of concerns me. He too was bitten in the tail and most likely lost 1 or more tailbones. I see a red dot at the place where the bones would be at the end of the tail.

I have isolated the 3 of them to recover, but I'm wondering; should I fridge them?
Only the 3rd one worries me, because I don't know how it looks like when it is infected.
Because I don't have a spare aquarium to put them in, I've put them in small bins with lids. I have to refresh the water daily, so I have to handle them. I'm concerned that this way I can do them more harm then good. What's your advice on this?

Firstly, would I be correct in that we are talking about axolotl? I am pretty sure thta they do not have bones in their tail..the red dot may more likely be a blood vessel.
If so, regarding the injuries just keep an eye on the damaged bits, axolotl are extremely good at regenerating missing bits and pieces. I had a juvenile loose his complete tail after escaping on a rather reckless visit to his father, this completely grew back in 5 or 6 weeks. I kept the water as possible and just keep a close eye on any further developments.
It sounds like they really need to be moved on up to a bigger aquarium.

Firstly, would I be correct in that we are talking about axolotl? I am pretty sure thta they do not have bones in their tail..the red dot may more likely be a blood vessel.
If so, regarding the injuries just keep an eye on the damaged bits, axolotl are extremely good at regenerating missing bits and pieces. I had a juvenile loose his complete tail after escaping on a rather reckless visit to his father, this completely grew back in 5 or 6 weeks. I kept the water as possible and just keep a close eye on any further developments.
It sounds like they really need to be moved on up to a bigger aquarium.
We're talking about axies, yes :p
I'm quite surprised to read that they don't have bones in their tail :eek:.
I keep a very close eye on them so they don't get fungus or something. They eat fine and they seem to do well.

I finally found a new owner for the axies after a couple of months of looking for one. They simply outgrew their home and that has taken it's toll. I hope they can go to their new home by the end of the week.

Hi Damien and Bella,

In actual fact they don't have bones at all. Rather...

"As any vertebrate, the body of an axolotl is built around a skeleton but with a difference. Even in fully grown animals, it isn’t completely bony. The wrists, ankles and particularly, the support system for the gills is composed of cartilage. The number of vertebrae varies; an average of 50 of which 30-35 are in the tail region. It has a powerful musculature with the 4 limbs controlled by specialized muscle groups." (Toronto Zoo Biology Department).

So it would be possible if the bite was serious enough to expose some of these vertebrae

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back