Baby keeps going to the top

Plonk

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Plonk
I got my 2 babies on sunday and one of them keeps going to the surface takes a gulp of air then goes to the bottom of the tank. My tank is running perfect, temp is right and so are all water levels that are required for axolotls. The baby is eating and seems to behaving like the other one. I am just troubled by him going to the top then going to the bottom.

Haven't we discussed this here already?

I'd hate to dismiss you as suffering from "new Mum syndrome" again and then find that your little one dies. So, can you give us more details? How often is "keeps" in this context? How regular? How big are your 'babies'? What are your water parameters (that you describe as "perfect")? Give us some more info and we'll try and help.

Sorry, the baby has been doing it more today than yesterday so I thought I would rewrite in this section of the forum. Today he has done it about 5 times, he is 8 cm long. I got my water tested at the aquarium and he showed me where all the levels need to be against some charts and mine were all spot on. I have a 4ft tank for them, and lots of hidey holes too. I feed them twice a day and the water temp is at 17deg C. Sorry again.

I can understand your concerns, as most of us have probably gone through the same or similar worries when we first got our axolotls. (Very apt description though Tyler!) You also have to bear in mind you've only just got them, they may be settling in (each in their own way).

With your water testing - when you do get it done, take along a notebook and write the levels/figures down - for ammonia/nitrite and nitrate and keep a record each time you do so - Keep it by the tank (or close by) so you can refer to it if needbe. I'm assuming your tank was cycled. If by perfect you mean your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 and you have a nitrate reading then yes your tank is okay. If your ammonia or nitrite rises above 0 at any stage, just make sure to change your water 20=30% on the same day you tested the tankwater; and will then probably need to test your tankwater daily or every two days thereafter to be on the safe side.

Hey Plonk, don't apologise. You're concerned and that is good. What is not good is worrying yourself to the point of ill health in yourself!

A really good indicator of an axy's wellbeing is it's willingness to eat and keep the food down. Yours is doing that. You've also checked the water parameters and they're good (for the moment - as kapo intimates, we haven't established that your tank is fully cycled yet - it's possible that your very adequate tank size / low bio load is not yet showing the first NH3/NH4 build-up).

5 times in a day is probably more than 'usual' (whatever that is) but at 8cm he's probably only a couple of months old. I'm not sure when the lungs develop or become functional in an axy but he might just have discovered a new toy! [Not quite the same toy that human boys discover early in life, but still. ;)]

Plonk - You might think that I'm making this up as the timing seems absolutely perfect, but I can assure you that I'm not.

Feeding my 2 juveniles this evening with their main course of worm and we've had a mishap. They are quite snappy with each other at the best of times - but when I'm feeding them they tend to get into a feeding frenzy mode that lasts for 10 minutes or so when they'll snap at anything.

Usually, I try to feed them at separate ends of the tank by coaxing one with a worm whilst moving about to distract the other. Tonight after Gemima had wolfed-down her worm I had dropped Howard's in and he swam away not seeing it. After a while, he turned around and came plodding back towards it. At just about the time he got that look in his eyes and starting hunting for the worm that he could sense was up ahead, Gemima swam towards that end of the tank and sidled up alongside him. What followed was a car-crash-tv-like moment as I said "Ah No!" out loud as I sensed what was about to happen. Just as Howard snapped for the worm (and got it) Gemima (still in her feeding frenzy mode) snapped onto Howard's left middle gill structure. However, unlike a normal quick nip, on this occasion Gemima seemed to hang on for dear life and thrash around as Howard writhed around either with his worm or in pain. The thrashing, tumbling, axy bodies and swirling sand and tank debris only lasted a second but it seemed much much longer.:cry:

There was a small trail of blood in the water (possibly from the worm, possibly from Howard) and his middle gill structure is now floppy and obviously damaged - although the skin does not appear to be broken. At the risk of hijacking your thread I'll try and get a photo of it.

However, back on topic: In the 3 hours or so since it happened, Gemima has surfaced for a gulp of air at least 3 times that I've seen her and Howard not at all. So, what does that say about frequency of gulping? Not sure. But, that's the scores on the doors in my household tonight.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better!

Now call me stupid if you will I am a newbie after all, but watching Darwin he seems to gulp the air from the surface every so often. But everything seems to be fine, regular water changes, good temperature and he is eating fine and my tank seems to be getting closer to being cycled.

I just thought it looked like normal behaviour as what he does is gulp the air and then float for a while exploring the tank. My theory being that the gulp of air he took in gave him some buoyancy to do his floating around.

He looks fine and Dandy so I am not worrying really unless someone else proves me wrong lol.

I have cycled my tank, I cylced it for a month. I got tests done the second week and its showed that my PH was up a bit so I bought some PH down and treated the water then left it for another 2 weeks and took in another water sample in and they said all levels were great.

I would recommend that you do not use products like PH down (or up). Stability of PH is more important than having it exactly right. Those chemicals will lead to problems in the long run as you really need a stable PH.

I don't think gulping at the top of the tank is to be worried about, if it is not excessive. 5 times is not excessive :) My axolotl does the same thing, especially after eating. I think because axolotls have rudimentary lungs, they use it to get more oxygen sometimes.

Hi Plonk,
Ihave 3 adults, 5 juvenilles, and eggs at the moment.
1 adult has always surfaced for air frequently, and 2 of my juvenilles do, neither have ever seemed to suffer ill health.
In referance to ware cycling.
Your tank can take upto 3 months to cycle.
Your readings will stay good until enough enough ammonia builds up to start the process of good bacteria.
Please take the advice of others and get your readings marked down.
They should be:- Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40-80. Ph is not really an issue unless it is excessively high, over 8.
If ammonia or nitrite read above 0 do daily water chances of 10/20% this will help maintain a safer enviroment for your axies until the cycling has finished.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back