Hello im New!

aim840

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Amy
Hi im new, so i apologise in advance if i have placed this in the wrong section.

Ive been looking at getting an axie for quite sometime, i have a 3ft tank with all the bits and bobs i need, but i dont have the axie yet!!

I dont know where to get one from. I live in Shropshire,and would prefer a white one.
Also i dont know if Axies are ok to be posted, via next day special delievery. I used to breed Siamese fighter fish ~(bettas) and this is how we use to transport them, with no real problems, but Only knowing alittle about these beautys, im not sure - does anyone know of anyone that posts or is local to me?!

Many thanks, hope to chat to you all soon~!!

A:p

Hi im new, so i apologise in advance if i have placed this in the wrong section.

Ive been looking at getting an axie for quite sometime, i have a 3ft tank with all the bits and bobs i need, but i dont have the axie yet!!

I dont know where to get one from. I live in Shropshire,and would prefer a white one.
Also i dont know if Axies are ok to be posted, via next day special delievery. I used to breed Siamese fighter fish ~(bettas) and this is how we use to transport them, with no real problems, but Only knowing alittle about these beautys, im not sure - does anyone know of anyone that posts or is local to me?!

Many thanks, hope to chat to you all soon~!!

A:p

I got mine from a local pet store, I went out one saturday and just went to all pet stores that I knew about to see what they had, I was looking for a newt or an axolotl. First place I went to had three axolotl's, I later bought one of them. There should be a current influx of babies coming into pet stores as breeding season was in December.

Hi Levo, thanks for the reply!

There are three places i know of that currently have axolotls and they are the only places that have them locally to me. The one has a black one, who is really big and they have had him a long time (they said they could do him half price because he ius so big and older!) The second place has blacks and isnt a fantastic place so i dont want to fund them really, also they said they wont be getting anymore in after this, because they dont sell and take up valuable space. The third place seems better but they have had there two for a couple of months wth no interest, but they do have a white one, so i may venture there tomorrow or over the weekend!.

What size tanks do others keep there axolotls in?

x

Hi Levo, thanks for the reply!

There are three places i know of that currently have axolotls and they are the only places that have them locally to me. The one has a black one, who is really big and they have had him a long time (they said they could do him half price because he ius so big and older!) The second place has blacks and isnt a fantastic place so i dont want to fund them really, also they said they wont be getting anymore in after this, because they dont sell and take up valuable space. The third place seems better but they have had there two for a couple of months wth no interest, but they do have a white one, so i may venture there tomorrow or over the weekend!.

What size tanks do others keep there axolotls in?

x

well I am fairly new to it all myself, the tank is about 24 inchs long, only really big enough to hold one axolotl in. But Darwin as I have named him is settling in well, I have had him for around 2 and a half weeks now. There is pictures of him and then tank the gallery section. I keep referring to Darwin as a him but he is too young to sex at the moment.

I've got a 120L tank for my axolotl :)
And I've also got a pic in the gallery section under the title AxoLotte.

I have 2 axolotls in a tank which is a few inches short of 3 ft, 125 litre, its pretty deep and they say axolotls don't have to have a deep tank but I do find mine like to climb their rocks and plants so the extra height is a bonus for adding features.
Heres a link to a photo of my setup, it may give you some ideas or not!:D
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/file_1005.jpg added a few more rocks since the photo was taken but its basically the same.

Hi
Thanks for replys
Firstly Intet gorgeous little Fella you have there.Very cute (my parnters not sure how i say everything is cute!.Hes not really a reptile/amphs person!).

Secondly Becky i really do like your set up. I like natural looking set ups, im the same with my tropicals!. It looks really fab, and thanks also because it has given me a few ideas!.

I know that the length is the most important thing but i imagine depth is important to, so they have even more space to stretch out!. I didnt realise they like to climb, or is it more scaling the rock as they swim past?.

I have mediuim size gravel, but im thinking of replacing it with sand, mostly so the Axolotl doesnt attempt to eat it,though alittle unsure as i have had mixed reports with sand, but i love the look, mind you last time i had sand, it was such a nightmare!lol

Last edited:
Ive been using sand for 6 months and had no problems with it at all. My axolotls do tend to suck some up when they are feeding but you can see it pass out through their gills as they are swallowing the food and some gets spat back out. Any thats left inside them should be able to pass through their system alot easier then gravel.
Its fairly easy to keep clean, I use a piece of hose to suck up waste and run the hose through the sand now and then to make sure there are no pockets of waste lurking beneath.

Ive got 2 in a 3 foot tank with about 14 inches of water. They do seem to like to climb over and under things. 1 of mine likes to patrol the tank at night by swimming around off the bottom so a bit of free space is a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back