Dead Axolotl?????

melanieb

Reaction score
Country
Australia
:(
Hi all, i am new to the forum and i have just found my loved axolotal of about 2 years dead at the botom of his fish tank. I tryed to feed him yesterday but was not interested. He has also been turning white around his mouth and on his tummy ( he was a black axle) was wondering if anyone new why he might of died.:(:(:(

Thanks
Mel

Sounds like it may have been a fungus problem, possibly a water temperature issue.

It's hard to say what killed it with such a vague explanation. What were the water parameter (i.e. pH, ammonia, nitrate)?
What was the temp of the water?
What have you been feeding it?
Were there any new inhabitants in the aquarium?

Sorry to hear about you loss, it's like losing a family member.

I am not sure what the ph etc was like. i did however add some water yesterday and forgot to put declorinator in it. The temp was about the same as normal, dont know exactly. We have however been having temps above 40`c so maybe it got warm. He has been eating frozen beef and liver, pellets and i have only just bought him some worms. I would say the way the water was probably killed him, it may have been 2 warm with too much clorine? I dont know. I guess that makes me a murderer.

Sounds was prolly due to the temp. Anything above the 20 degree celcius mark is stressful to them, if its a 40 degree day probably iced water bottles to bring the temp down would've helped. Sorry for your loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back