feeder fish?

fish7286

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
FISH
ive heard people saying they feed their axies feeder fish, what the hell are they?
surely you dont mean putting fish in there and letting the axies chase them cos mine are really lazy.

Feeder fish are just that. Fish that you either buy to feed to your axie or breed yourself for the same purpose. Some things to consider....

Purchased feeders are generally disease magnets due to the lousy conditions in which they are kept. As such, they should be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days before going in with another animal. Feeders you breed are different as you can maintain the tank to higher standards, feed them nutritious foods, and ensure they are healthy before offering them up as food. Some people, however, find that with all the care they put into raising them they are more like pets and can't bring themselves to feed them to another pet. Additionally, some species of fish will harass the axie, nit its gills etc. That will create stress and stress has a very large impact on overall health so you may have an axie more prone to illness. Lots of ways to skin the cat though so read up and choose what is best for your situation.

Personally, i'd offer a variety of commercially available foods suplimented with earthworms.

I use guppies to add to my axolotl diet, these where quarantined for 30 days..they are now reproducing nicely. The axolotl do seem to enjoy hunting them. They also occasionally get fresh water shrimp

My T. granulosa's live with a very large school of white cloud minnows that reproduces weekly. I give some away to local pet stores but most are consumed by the newts. They chase the fish quite a bit and they are excellent predators.

I have not seen my axies actually chase feeder fish. Its more like home delivery pizza , they wait for the food to come them , then scoff it down.

i might try some guppies in with beavis and butthead and see what happens.

My partner thought it was a good idea when I first bought my very 1st axie chub-chub to put neons in the tank. He was watching his beautiful fish swim round then one got near her mouth then "gulp" one gone lol. So I guess they do in somewhat when they don't feel lazy get energetic. But after that fed them goldfish feeders now on earthworms & prawns.

The rule of mixing species is that if you choose to do it you need to be prepared to have one species be food for another. It's really quite simple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back