Siren shedding?

spidygirl

Reaction score
Display Name
Rachel
I got two greater sirens this week. They're just little guys 5-7". My little one is doing just fine, but I noticed my larger one has white splotches on it's skin today. It appears to be on top of the skin, and around it's mouth. I heard that they can shed but I've never seen it before. It also has a crook in the end of it's tail which I know can be a sign of illness in other salamanders. I'll try to post some pics later so maybe you guys can tell me what's going on. I'm hoping it's not a fungus but I'm going to do a water change and put some antibiotics in just in case. My question is, do sirens shed and if so, what does it look like? It's eyes are also a little cloudy looking too. A sign of shedding?

Thanks,
Rachel

I've never seen my sirens shed. It sounds like yours has something more serious going on. Pictures would help.

Yes pictures, I've seen pics of a white growth as you speak of on mudpuppies and the outcome was death. But it's hard to tell without pictures.

Rachel, please note the warning PM regarding your profile. I will not lock this thread, but only because I think that your animal may need immediate advice. Thank you for your understanding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back