Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Prices

aim840

Reaction score
I was just wonderiung what seems to be the 'going' rate iun shops for Axolotls.

A few of the shops by me have them in stock prices ranging from 14.99 to 20.00. The place that has them for £20.00 seems to know alot about them as the chap who is poke to keeps them hmself and was really informative. The place where they were £14.99 had had them in the store for at least 2 months.

Not sure which to go with?! These are both for whites/pink - i can get them alittle cheaper for darker ones.

Genome42

Reaction score
The shop near me has large juveniles (about 15cm) for £12.99. I would buy the healthier animal regardless of the extra cost as it will probably save heartache (and extra expense!) in the long run

Levo

Reaction score
Yeah definitely go for the one that looks healthier regardless of price, not too much of a difference really. I paid £17.99 for Darwin.

aim840

Reaction score
Thats what i thought but didnt wont to say it, in case i sounded heartless!!

Well i went to look at them both yesterday, and decided against the cheaper one. It just look so sad and unheathly and iu felt wicked for not chosing him, but i felt if iut died so early on i would blame myself and it may put me off trying with another ever again. I went to the more expensive place and they had two both beautuiful and healthy and good sizes, both females too. So iu came away with Isis!. She is beautuiful gorgeous red gills (not sure what to call them!) and they are all there and quite long, no missing toes etc. She has alittle marbling to her head, but she is a pinky white.

She seems to have settled in quite well, i left her be yesterday once i put her in, but i feed her this morning, took me quiute a while but iu managed to locate a nice earth worm in the garden, it accidently slipped out of my hands into the tank and before i could do anything she had come up and sucked it in!! lol.
She seemed to enjoy it! SO i have left her be for now to rest with some quiet, i keep starring at her!!

tyl3r

Reaction score
Welcome to axy keeping. It sounds as if Isis is settling in nicely. I hope she's just as much of a character and provides as much enjoyment to you as mine are and do for me.:happy:

rich

Reaction score
i paid £25 for my axie, was workin there for a week on work experiance and irt had been ther for about 2 months in a bare tank with no enrihmen, so i just had to have it lol, its about 7 inches but i have no idea of sex, and the shop isnt to sure wither, but i can live with that lol

Bmovie

Reaction score
The shop where i work sell them at £22.50, however i dont know if this is particularly high or not. Where I live (the west of Scotland), I was told they were hard to find. The customer might have been too lazy to shop about though.:tongue:

philbaker76

Reaction score
They seem to range from £15 to £25 in the UK. I think it's safe to say the pet shop price reflects how much they bought them in for.

If the shop got them from a private breeder, they're usually cheaper. If it goes from breeder to wholesaler to pet shop, you're looking at the higher end of the price scale.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1