Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese fire-belly won't swim :(`

venom1334

Reaction score
I have a Chinese Fire-Bellied newt whos' about 2 inches
Long. I've had him for over 2 weeks now and he wouldn't eat.
Last night he shed his skin so I figure that's the reason
The poor thing wasn't hungry but I've also notice that he
Doesn't like to swim at all. Have of his 5 1/2 gallon tank is a
Pond and he never jumps in so I decided I'd put him in to see
What he'd do and he would freak and try to get out.

Today, I did the same and after a while he just sank to the
Bottom which freaked me out because I'm not sure how long
A newt can go underwater without air.

Any advice?

DesertRaven

Reaction score
I think that's pretty normal. When I brought mine home, I had one little guy about 2 inches long that refused to get in the water too. The adults didn't seem to mind exploring the whole tank immediately but the little guy seemed a little afraid. It helped a lot when I got a bunch of floating plants in the water. That lured him to climb out into the water a little. Even now after a several months he rarely goes right in and down to the sand. He prefers to sit in some shallow water with his head sticking out. They can stay underwater quite a long time and will swim back up to get a gulp of air whenever they need it. HTH ;o)

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Check your water parameters for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. What temperature do you keep the water, and how deep? What are you offering as food? Is the animal alone in the tank? I, too, would recommend lots of floating plants to act as haul outs and hiding places. Newly imported newts are stressed and often in poor health so though sad and frustrating, its not surprising your newt is not eating yet. Keep it in a quite, cool, dark place and let it settle in. Keep offering food, worms are a great bet, and good luck!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Half of a 5.5-gallon tank is a really small water area. It's difficult to maintain stable water parameters in such a small volume. If he adapts to water, I would suggest enlarging the water area to make the tank mostly water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1