Shrimp?

riversource

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that it is generally considered to be a bad idea to mix species in a tank, at the moment i have 4 chinese fire bellies in a 80l tank living happily and breeding away. I don't want to add anything to the tank that is going to do them any harm but i'm worried about the left overs from their meals. They are fed live daphnia, chopped earthworms and frozen blood worm. After they have stopped showing interest in their food i remove what i can with a net but some always get into the gravel or under the planted wood and i'm worried that this is going to damage the water quality. Where i work we have some shrimp in with the newts and they go around picking up the left overs.

If i did this do you think i would regret it?

I've had them a few times and they don't last long. I think they get eaten.

I put my food in a jar on its side, then whatever they don't eat I can easily remove by removing the jar.

Quite right, all my newts love shrimp be it frozen or live.

Riversource, I use a big turkey baster to remove uneaten food, lets you get around all the decorations and give th gravel a good sucking. I got mne from the kitchen sectin of my local Wilko store for under a quid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back