Advice needed please

Neurus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have two now juvenile axolotls, about 10 weeks old now and just got their back legs. They are currently in a nursery basket in the parents tank (approx 6" x 3"). I would of course now like to move them to their own preschool tank. This one is 1ft x 1ft x 1ft approx. I bought it 5 weeks ago to hold a clutch of eggs which thanks to moving house all decided to up and die. The second clutch that i kept in a net basket in the parent's tank are still doing ok and are about 5mm long now. However in the mean time i have left the tank with water in the light as i noticed young daphnia swimming around. This tank has a small but very powerful filter that is commonly used for terrapins.
I turned it on today and saw that there was stringy algae in the tank and some remnants of the egg jelly still in the tank. With the algae growth and the daphnia and being left for two weeks i presume this tank will have nicely cycled. (It also contains some stones from the adult tank)
Advice needed part :-
Firstly will the tank be ok for the two juveniles for a month or so?
Will i need to empty out all the water and replace with bottled spring water?
Should the tank be cleaned in any way shape or form?

Many thanks in advance ....

If i were you i would test the water, if the parameters are ok they should be ok to go in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back