Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New (safe) tank mates

seedy

Reaction score
I've just added some new tank mates to my axie tank.
2 x Freshwater mussels
They dont do very much ( open and close their shells a little ) but they won't get eaten..lol

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Additionally most mussels need a lot of water since they feed by filtration - and with "a lot" I mean several hundred liters of water per mussel. Otherwise they simply will starve if you do not feed them with a lot of small, swimming particles.
As far as I know, a mussel in a pond (depending on it's size) can keep clean up to 2.000 liters.

platinum

Reaction score
Made the mistake of adding fresh water mussels to my big C. orinetalis tank the other week. All three of them dead and rapidly decomposing within a few days.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Made the mistake of adding fresh water mussels to my big C. orinetalis tank the other week. All three of them dead and rapidly decomposing within a few days.

You need a lot of flowing water with fine particulate for the mussel to filter for the animal to even survive. These guys can easily crawl into the substrate, die and foul your water before you can notice.

Many species of freshwater mussel are endangered and illegal to collect. They may have lifespans measured in decades or a century and do not easily repopulate. It is best for most aquarists to stay away from freshwater mussels unless they are positive of the specimen's identification and their ability to provide legal and necessary captive needs.

seedy

Reaction score
Just responding to your points.
They are legal over here in Australia , and are too big to just disappear.
They have been positioned in way that the axies can't really get at them to stick their toes in and if they move too much I can move them back.
The only real issue I can see is longevity , which is a risk we all take when removing creatures from the enviroment and put them in a tank.
I'll keep you posted for informations sake.

seedy

Reaction score
photo update

Just a photo .

Attachments

• mussels.jpg
    mussels.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 468

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I can not help you with finding mussels in the UK, but did you read Abrahms post and the concerns mentioned? I personally would advice against any kind of mussels if you do not have a pond at least.

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with Abrahms and Daniel have a look at the mixing disasters page that Abrahms posted a link to and see for yourself.

Actually anyone who considers tank mates that aren't axolotls should have a look.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only real issue I can see is longevity , which is a risk we all take when removing creatures from the enviroment and put them in a tank.

As a general statement I disagree wholeheartedly. In many cases longevity of captive animals is greater than that of wild counterparts, if you can provide the correct care for them. If you don't feel you can provide the correct care requirements you shouldn't have the animal in captivity. Improper care is not a risk - it's irresponsible.

Kal El

Reaction score
As a general statement I disagree wholeheartedly. In many cases longevity of captive animals is greater than that of wild counterparts, if you can provide the correct care for them. If you don't feel you can provide the correct care requirements you shouldn't have the animal in captivity. Improper care is not a risk - it's irresponsible.

I agree. Captive bred animals are healthier than wild animals because they are not exposed to the many pathogens that are in the wild. Also should reproduction occur amongst captive bred animals, the offspring will almost/definitely be just as healthy. However, wild caught animals that are sold in pet stores are most susceptible to illnesses because of the stress involved during capture and transportation.

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1