Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

3 in one week

Madhatter

Reaction score
I lost my Salsa, Calypso and Taco all in one week.

I have no idea how this happend.

I check the water, I do my changes, I feed and I watch the temperature.

Calypso had a case of fungus but I treated it. They all caught it but I treated it.

The only thing they had in common before and aftet they died is that a tiny bit of fungus was still on them. But I was treating it.

I was always sure that Calypso was sick before I got her.

But I feel like a bad mother.

:(

Neurus

Reaction score
I am sorry for your losses. However this week i am noticing a lot of Axolotls on these forums in Australia seem to be passing away.

IanF

Reaction score
Sorry for your lose. Mabey a water problem, if its all localisied it could be some water treatment plant thats had a problem? Did you do a water change over 40% before they died?

Saspotato

Reaction score
Oh that is so sad, to lose your three axies :(

It could have just been the fungus wasn't able to be treated in time. Also, how was your temperature during that week? I know we've had a big heat wave in Melbourne so could your tank have gotten too hot? The weather is so bad at the moment I have given up on my tank temperature and have put my axie in the fridge as I am worried the heat will cause problems.

Anyway, really sorry to hear about them.

Wynn

Reaction score
i have no idea how the water equivalent in australia is, may be they've chlorinate in high grades or did some chemical things in the wather- that could be a reason

i'm sorry that your axies are died;(

regards wynn

Madhatter

Reaction score
Yeh I did do a 40% water change the day before two of them died.

It has been pretty hot here, But I've keept an eye on the tempreture and it hasnt reached over 20.

It might be the water place, as apparantly a small trace of arsanic has been found in our drinking water.

But the one I have left is fine. It has no fungus and is eating as normal.

Wynn

Reaction score
if you handn't any chemical wateradditves in your water like chemical waterpurifier for fishes (ambhibians don't tolerate this and die very quick) couldn't it only be the tap water!

i do not have any other explanation for these, that 3 axies dieing closely after each other in these short time!
axies coldn't die so closely because a fungus.

what a kind of foot have you give them? maybe it was degenerated?!

regads wynn

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Wynn,

you should not generalize the things you read in some forums in Germany (since I know you and I know the forums you are at, I know what you are talking about...).

Water conditioner (so to say "water purifier") is used in other parts of the world for a long time and it apparently does not have any negative side effects on Axolotls (opposed to some things people over here in Germany proclaim).
If you have chlorinates in the water, you have to chemically remove them with water conditioner (not to be mistaken with chlorine what is used in Europe - chlorine will dissipate if you will leave the water standing in a bucket for some hours or days). So this water conditioner will not be the reason.

@Madhatter: If all of your Axolotls caught fungus in a very narrow period of time, this certainly was a secondary infection and I suppose that they were infected by some bacteria or something else (apart from the fungus) in the first time. So what is quite interesting - what was the water temperature? You did not separate the Axolotl with the first sign of fungus from the others, did you?

Sorry to hear about your losses, though!

Madhatter

Reaction score
I treat water before I put it in the tank. I've spoken to Kapo and she has told me what to use before.

The thing is, I thought the fungus was gone because I couldnt see it anymore. I only saw the fungus after they died.

The tank right now is at 20, but I'm trying to get it down. It's hard as we have been having over 40 degree days here.

I feel bad enough as it is about them dying, I don't need people like wynn telling me I didn't treat my tank water. I've done everything I've been told my people on this site. And the food was not degenerating.

chris_c

Reaction score
Hi Madhatter,
I am sorry for your loss,
loosing one is bad enough but to loose three.
I am sure that you have done your very best
under difficult circumstances, heat and fungus.
I hope all goes well for you and your surviving axie.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Madhatter.

What a terrible week.

Have you tested your water? is there anywhere in Melbourne that can conduct a more comprehensive test than home water test kits.

Good luck

Madhatter

Reaction score
Yep.

I've been to the living jungle ( a pet warehouse that is way better than any pet shop) and I had my water tested there and they said it was fine. But just to make sure I had it tested at a local peyt shop too and they said it was fine.

Things with Cloud (my last axie alive) seem to be really good. I'm keeping a really close eye on the fungus, and his eating heaps. Like normal. The water is about 18.

ianclick

Reaction score
It must go down as a freak of nature or act of God or some such thing.

Hoping everything goes well with the remaining one.

Best of luck

Zab

Reaction score
Mine also died last week.. Linnal he was a pink female..

He never eat a great deal when i got him, towards the end he started swiming madly for a few mins then hed just float at the top of the tank for hrs sometimes then repeat this act.
2 weeks later i found him dead.

Zab my other 1 usally eats fine now he spits out his food and wont eat, and he is also swiming like mad then just floating for ages i dont no wat to do :( help

Madhatter

Reaction score
Hey Zab, thats kind of similar to what happend with my guys.

They would swim mad, and then float a little.

Hopefully you can save yours.

Zab

Reaction score
Linnal died last week and im trying to feed zab and i just changed his water but it isnt looking good i feel really bad

Zab

Reaction score
Zab passed away today i came home from work and he was gone :(

I feel really bad 2 in 2 weeks..

I really liked my axolotl's :( but i dont think id get them agian after this i feel awful

Madhatter

Reaction score
Awwwww!

I know how bad it feels! Its so sucks.

But I don't think it was your fault, I'm pretty sure its the weather. How its been like 40 everyday.

You shouldnt give up.

Its bad. but I guess know we know a little more about them. Next time we will know the signs. And we can be better parents.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1