Eyes larger than stomach?

TerryBlack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm slightly concerned about my Axolotl larvae I am rearing, they are a month old now and have been fed on daphnia. There is a great size difference between the largest which are over 30mm to the smallest which are still barely 15mm. I recently tried feeding them small bloodworms as well as the daphnia, and they took to them immediately - being far more enthusiastic about the bloodworms than they ever were about the daphnia. What concerns me however is whether they are actually big enough to eat them healthily? Do Axolotls have eyes larger than their stomachs and often consume things too large to digest properly? When they excrete having eaten the bloodworms, the faeces is very long and hang out of their bodies for a long time before breaking free - i realised this was because the Axolotls were actually just excreting the Bloodworm's skin; the bloodworm comes out still fully intact but looking as though it's had it's insides disolved/digested. I assume this is painful or at least unpleasant for the larvae? The concern about this is basically, now they've tasted bloodworm, they don't seem to want anything else and seem even less interested in the daphnia!
My question is, do they know what they're doing? do they know what they can and can't swallow like most animals, or are they like snakes and don't really have a perception of what they can or can't take? I think the larger ones are now ready to take on frozen or pelleted food as they are starting to show back leg buds, so maybe i'll try that next.

Hi, i wouldnt concern yourself over it.
If they werent able to cope with the size they just spit them out.

I have seen Axolotl larvae in need of some help with bloodworms - the worms were too big but they swallowed them nevertheless and were unable to spit them back out by themselves. But that is rather seldom, usually they do as Frances said and spit them out.
Axolotls do not "know" what they are doing in a narrow sense - their brain is too underdeveloped to have a real clue. They catch what they can get and swallow what fits in their throat. If they can swallow the bloodworms, then that is okay for them.

There is another thing you should consider (said that they swallow what fits in their mouth...): If you have all of the larvae in one tank, you should split up the group by size and seperate the big ones from their smaller siblings. Otherwise they will try to eat them as well.

What you describe with the feces hanging out of the larvae as they feed, this is normal, and not any different from when a gold fish does it.

ok, thanks, yeh i mean it doesn't seem to necessarily be causing them any real harm (as their behaviour doesn't change at all whilst they are excreting), so i will continue with the bloodworms but always offer daphnia. don't worry, I have two tanks which separate the bigger ones from the more vulnerable larvae :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back