Aggression problem

IanF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ian Faux
Not a major, urgent problem, but I'm wondering if anyone can specify the amount of food an Axolotl should eat. At the moment I feed them Silverside Fish (about 1, cut up into 2 cm sections, with 4 sections or so in total) and on occasion Sand eels and Blood worms. Although this is what I was recomended to do, both Axolotls seem to get more and more aggressive during feeding time. Its not a huge problem as I said, but if someone could enlighten me if this is normal, if I'm feeding to little, or if something should be changed.

Axolotl love food in general, I suspect your guys are doing what axolotl should do. When my axolotl started doing this I ended up feeding them in different spots of the tank, they now all toodle over to their spot when they see me ( or the kids) coming.

Thanks, I'll try that, but on the subject do you think I should try to vary the diet aswell as live food? Or can they survive on the same food all the time?

Ah feeding time at the zoo eh? When i feed my guys Kiro who is the larger male has recently taken to pushing Neurus (the smaller female) into a hidey hole and blocks her in until he has had his full fill. The way i have found seems to be a good one is to use a turkey baster to feed them, They soon get used to checking the bottom for food coming out but also you can feed one whilst the others back is turned so to speak.

Thanks, I'll try that, but on the subject do you think I should try to vary the diet aswell as live food? Or can they survive on the same food all the time?

Nightcrawlers and trout chow are probably the best foods for axolotls, and probably the best two foods that you could feed them without needing to supplement. Try to avoid fish if at all possible.

Some variety is probably a good idea, more balanced and gives you more flexibility in terms of what you can feed them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back