Very sick axie any advice be good

MistressOfAxies

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Image054.jpg
The usual place I get my axolotls from had a really extremely sick axolotl. It was going to die as the weren't treating it so I felt sorry & told them to give me it for free & see what I can do with it. At present I have given it a salt bath with aquarium salt put about 6 tea spoons in an icecream bucket with 2 litres of water. I put him in the fridge for 30 mins then took him out placed him in another one with aquarium water & fridged him since.

I will be carrying out these salt balths twice a day & at night will try to feed him some frozen bloodworms. I have attached some photos of him as you can see he's very skinny, theres a big white lump on his side & his mouth has a bright redish tinge, his whole body looks like his anarexic. Any advice will be helpful. I have melafix & pinafix but I'm reluctant to use the
Image050.jpg
m at present. At this stage he's moving around but he's topsie turvy & can't seem to stay stable on his lil legs. Also his tail is detoriating pretty bad.

Keep the water low enough in the container so it's just above his fin and allows his/her feet to rest on the bottom.

A bit hard to see from the photos, but does he actually have fungus? If not, don't do the saltbaths.

If he does have fungus then carry on with the saltbathing but saltbaths should be no longer than 10=15minutes maximum. Any longer and the salt burns their skin and gills.

When fridging and saltbathing make sure to keep a couple of bottles in the fridge, with dechlorinated water. Don't use aquarium water, make sure you use dechlorinated water (tap water with water ager/conditioner/dechlorinator drops added to remove chlorine and chloramines). Both saltbaths and waterchanges need to be the same temperature as his current fridged container; otherwise the temperature changes can be just as stressful.

Ok many thanks kapo. No he doesn't have fungus & sorry the photos arent clearer were taken on my mobile. He just has was seems like a white blister on his skin & hes very detoriated all over. I will cease with the salt baths, I put some blood worms in his container but I dont think he ate any will try tomorrow with a very small cube of prawn. He's still hanging in there so thats good. Will have some dechlorinated water on supply now, thanks again.

Good luck and I think that is a very lucky axie. Lucky that is to have some one who cares.

Best of luck

It doesn't look terribly skinny. I've seen worse. The best thing to offer is live food. The wiggling action will get their feeding response to kick in.

But for future reference, you should really refrain from making 'pet shop rescues'. This only encourages the shop to get more, as they see there's a demand for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back