Mail Order eggs arriving in two days

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Country
England
I ordered 20 eggs from a reputable seller and she will be sending them to me tomorrow, by special mail so they will arrive the next day. I have a 40" tank that is divided into two segments, quite a lot of plastic plants and a gentle air pump with an airstone plus a few large pebbles and a mug in each half for hiding places. Ive put about 7" of water in there and an anti-chlorine treatment in advance so the water will settle down prior to their grand arrival.

So, should I pop them in straight away as soon as they arrive, or float the bag they come in first until it gains the same temp as the tank?

I wonder if anyone can advise on the likelihood of all 20 eggs hatching and the average survival rate?

Also, will they be OK together in that large tank or will their cannibalistic tendencies kick in? I do have a number of smaller tanks I can place inside the large one if necessary, but then the water won't circulate in all of them (I have ordered a filter but it won't arrive 'till the day after they do...)

Thanks - and I look forward to reading your replies. I realise I've become one of those worried mums that I've been empathising with on this site! :blush:

I think that if the tank has plenty of plants and other hides, it should be OK for all of them. There will only be a problem if they become very different in sizes.

Yes, float the bag to equilibrate the temperature. It would be OK to hatch the eggs in a small container, and then put them in the tank after they hatch.

What kind of filter will you get? The problem with filters is that they usually suck up the live food. You may want to raise the babies in small containers until they are large enough to eat pellets, then put them in the tank.

Hi, welcome to the site.
Good luck with your eggs, what colour were the parents do you know?
As has already been stated it is sometimes easier to raise the larvae in small containers, so many in each container, as it is easier to monitor food consumption.At least you know they are eating it and it is not going in the filter.
Where in the UK are you by the way?

Thank you for your replies

They all arrived safely, all 21 eggs. Only tree eggs contain singles, the rest are twins or triplets so potentially a family of 43 individuals! The filter I have is a Resun Magic-Jet sponge and charcoal one, and I've set it up with the spray bar pointing above it and dissipated via some plastic water lilies.

The eggs are in together at the mo, along with the filter, so what if I switch it off whilst feeding... Would that do OK?

PS I'm in Torquay, Devon btw

Forgot to mention; The father is Golden - the mother, White
AXOLOTL DAD AND MOM.JPG

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back