tank gap

eaglesqb5dm

Reaction score
Country
United States
i am thinking of getting a firebelied newt or toad. one or the other. but since of my filter there is a big gap. i do not want to buy a new filter. here are some pictures of what i mean.
DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

can they escape?

Yes. And by having the intake pipe, they'll be even better at it.

Yep, I refer to them a cynops houdinicus for a reason. They can get out a gap half an inch wide, less even.
A tightly fitting cover is eally essential.

I would re-evaluate the entire top. An internal filter would allow you to use a tighter fitting glass canopy with only a small gap for the plug to escape. That gap can be plugged with a wad of cotton batting or filter floss. I also have a slight concern with the light. Incandescent fixtures are very inefficient and a high percentage of their electricity is converted to heat. Newts prefer temps on the cooler side so any external heal source could lead to stress and illness.

FBTs can also escape easily through the smallest of holes. Some of mine have scaled the 30+ inch sides to make a break for it.

I would re-evaluate the entire top. An internal filter would allow you to use a tighter fitting glass canopy with only a small gap for the plug to escape. That gap can be plugged with a wad of cotton batting or filter floss. I also have a slight concern with the light. Incandescent fixtures are very inefficient and a high percentage of their electricity is converted to heat. Newts prefer temps on the cooler side so any external heal source could lead to stress and illness.

the light was there for past pets

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back