Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

fungus on my axies gill

BIG J

Reaction score
I have attached some photos of my axies so that you can see the problem that I have, the upper gill on her right side has a cotton wool like lump on its tip.

Is there any thing that you would recommend to help her as i am very worried about her as i don’t want this to spread to the rest of her body.

Please could you help me

(sorry about the bad quality)

Attachments

• Copy of imag1331.jpg
    Copy of imag1331.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 405

digger

Reaction score
You need to do salt baths.
1 - 2 teaspoons of salt per litre of dechlorinated water.
2 - 3 times a day for 10 - 15 mins, no longer than this as the salt will start to burn.
Continue with the salt baths for a couple of days if poss a week after the fungus as gone.
Your axie may get agitated when first placed in the bath so make sure it ca nnot jump out, It will soon get used to it though.
Hope this helps good luck.

BIG J

Reaction score
I am a little bit reluctant to do salt baths on her, as she has just been moved to her new tank and still seems a little stressed, I used the same water from her old tank for the new tank and the same filter medium so i don't think that it was the water quality that caused this. i think that it was the stress from moving her in a net.

Is there any other way that I would be able to treat her:confused:

digger

Reaction score
Everyone here seems to reccommend salt baths as most aquatic medications contain things that are harmful to the axies.
The longer you leave the treatment the worse it will become and the more stressed your axie.It will also take a lot longer to clear up.
Other than keeping it in the fridge to reduce stress whilst doing the treatment i can offer no other advice. Sorry and good luck.

BIG J

Reaction score
Over night the fungus has dropped off should i still do salt baths? also what should i do about the water in the tank could some of the fungus still be in there if so what should i do about it .

digger

Reaction score
Hi,
yes still do salt baths for at least a couple of days to ensure it has gone, a week would be best.
Check your water parameters, if they are ok you can pop him in once you are sure the fungus has gone., if the ammonnia and/or the nitrite are above 0 then do daily wayer changes of 20/30% until they are stable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!