Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies and Algae eaters?

Tasharawiri

Reaction score
Hi there everyone in Axie-land...

I am a very newbie here, and have only had our dear axolotls for about a month, so still sussing things out. I have recently noticed a LOT of algae on the side of our big axie tank. We have a pair of axolotls in there - Charlotte and Albert. :D

In the fish tank we combat this with algae eaters. Will the axies eat these if we put large ones in the axie tank? They are quite big for what I have seen of axolotls.... Would rather they didn't eat my husband's algae eaters -:lick: haha. I have one of those magnetic tank scrubber thingys but am doing this every other day - it just grows back... is this normal??

Thanks in advance! :eek:

Saspotato

Reaction score
What type of algae eaters do you use? Many people I know use catfish, which should never be kept with axolotls due to the their protective spines. If an axolotl eats them, it can kill your axolotl as the fish becomes lodged in its throat. Anyway, most people do not recommend keeping any fish with axolotls (that you don't intend to be food) as if the fish is too small your axolotl will probably eat it and if the fish is too big it will either harrass and stress out your axolotl or otherwise, your axolotl may still try to eat it and get the fish stuck in its throat. (eg http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml)

I use a sponge to clean algae about once a fortnight, that works for me but I don't have a big problem with algae. Other ways that might help to keep algae down is to move your tank to a darker area, clean your filter and check that it is running properly, and do a really good clean of the tank. Also how big is your tank and how big are your axolotls? I have heard that algae can be a result of overstocking (and/or overfeeding)...

Kal El

Reaction score
Tasha,

To further elaborate on Sarah's points:

- Yes, you should move your tank to a darker area in your house. It is known that cyanobacteria (a common form of algae) will utilise light from the "cooler" parts of the visible spectrum for photosynthesis; that being blue light which has a wavelength of about 450nm. So if you have any fluorescent blubs that emit light along that wavelength, consider changing it. Better yet, don't have any light bulbs at all. Another way to reduce the amount of light is to use a black background for the back and sides of your tank. The black colour will effectively absorb any light should come into contact with your tank.

- Definitely limit the nutrient supply. The major nutrients of algae are nitrogen, phosphate and potassium, the same macronutrients required by plants. In their competition with algae, the vascular plants have an edge: they have means of temporarily storing excess nutrients, whereas algae are hampered if a nutrient is unavailable even for a brief period of time. The main nutrient that I would focus on is phosphate. This will 'starve' the algae much quicker.

Jay.

Lisa

Reaction score
Hi, apparently a lot of the algae eaters sold are quite aggressive to other fish (chinese algae eaters if I'm correct, but don't know the scientific name) and so will hassle and nibble on your axolotl and damage the slime coat. I've had one in with goldfish before and even they copped it a bit from the one I had.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!