Colour Question? Melanoid or Wild Type?

philbaker76

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Phil
I've recently raised a large batch of Axolotls - spawn came from a tank with a pair Melanoid and Leucistic adults.

They are all way over 5cm now, some are Leucistic. Some Wild Types are a sandy colour; but others are really dark and seem to be getting darker. The darker ones have dark grey underbellies; but overall still no where near as dark as the adults, the Melanoid adults are jet black.

I've never raised any Melanoid ones before; previous batches have been Leucistic with the odd sandy coloured Wild Type.

What do you think? Melanoid or a dark Wild Type?
(I'll try and get a photo sorted)

Just have a look at the eyes - if they have a shiny ring in there, they are dark wild types. If they have no shiny pigments at all (not even in their eyes), they will be melanoids.
"Melanoid" does not mean that they are especially "black" or "dark", it means that they lack the shiny iridophores (pigments).

By the way: There are also leucistic melanoids possible...just look at their eyes ;)

For further information have a look at the Color genetics page

Thanks Daniel. Yeah I've read the Axolotl colour page several times. ...I don't think it sinks in sometimes - hense my lack of formal qualifications ;-)

That's interesting mate, so my "black" adults could be just very dark wild types.

Does anyone have a photo of a leuistic melanoid? ...is there one on the gallery page?

In general, melanoid adults are very dark. There are always exceptions. And wildtype adults can range from black to almost white. Like Daniel said, it's all in the eyes.

Hi, no Bellabelloo - my youngsters don't look like yours. I'm now pretty sure they are dark wild types. ...which answers my question. Thanks guys.

I always thought Melanoid meant dark pigment; or something like that.

The black adults are at my sisters house, so I'll have to wait until I next visit to see if they have that ring around their eyes.

I can show you some pics of my melanoid white one. We call him button eye ;)

Attachments

• _MG_2379-01.jpg
    _MG_2379-01.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 626
  • _MG_2406-01.jpg
    _MG_2406-01.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 718
  • _MG_2582-01.jpg
    _MG_2582-01.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 677
  • _MG_3302-01.jpg
    _MG_3302-01.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 472
  • _MG_3303-01.jpg
    _MG_3303-01.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 584
  • _MG_3596-01.jpg
    _MG_3596-01.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 697
Thanks Dietmar :) ...the bit in the eye to look for; is it theouter ring (as on Bellabelloo's), the duller inner circle (pupil) or both?

Its the ring around the eye that looks shiny. It can be seen on larvae too if you shine alight onto them.

Dietmar, beautiful axolotl.

In melanoids, it's the outer ring that lacks the 'shiny' pigment. In wildtype axolotls, this ring appears gold iridescent, where in melanoid individuals it is black/dark.

Thanks guys, I'm now convinced that my youngsters are all wild type - I'll check the black adults this weekend, I'll try and take a photo. Cheers, Phil

Photo Melanoid or Wild Type

Hi, I've taken a photo of the black male - I'm 99% sure he's a really dark wild type. He is jet black to look at, but doesn't have a ring around his eyes.

The photo I've taken (although really bad); is quite interesting; in it he looks a brown colour (and it sort of looks like he does have a ring around his eyes). ...oh, that's a maggot on his head - and those dots are dust from the maggots.

Notice on his legs you can see some lighter markings? - well, you can't see them off the photo.

For years I've thought him to be melanoid - but from your input I'm now pretty sure he is wild type.

Would appreciate your opinions :eek:. Cheers, Phil

DSC00110.jpg

(This is the only photo I took that wasn't blured or washed out by the flash).

I'd say melanoid. I don't see evidence of a gold ring around the eye.

I do not see any shiny ring in his eyes neither...but there are some freckles on the legs that could be iridophores. So I am not sure, could be that it's just the angle of the shot that makes they eyering invisible. Or it is the flashlight that makes the xanthophores seem shiny on his legs :eek:

I have got an old wildtype looking just as dark as this one. The color seems more brown than black because of the flashlight - it's always hard to make appropriate photos of dark Axolotls (especially when using automatic settings).

Thanks for the input guys; I'll get a better photo when I can, and post it.

I notice most of you take great photos of your Axolotls - any tips (or related forum posts)? the above photo is the best of a bad lot. :eek:

"iridophores and xanthophores" :confused: ...I'm a simple man. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatophore for anyone else as simple as I.

I have a female - exactly the same colour, in with too white Axolols - never had any "melanoid" hatchlings, always been white or wild type. Thanks again for the input, I'll try and sort a better photo soon. Cheers, Phil

As far as pictures, use lots of lighting. Take them during the day, and possibly con a friend/family member into holding a flashlight or other light source while you take the picture. Avoid flash at all costs.

Hi guys, I've got some more (poor) photos of the Axolotls. Tried to get a photo of the eyes - I think all of these are taken without the flash.

I've changed my mind; on a closer inspection - I think they are Melanoid. What do you reckon?

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

The first few pictures don't look like there is a shiny ring around the eyes, but the last one does. Do you have a video feature on your camera? If so, that and a flashlight might help get clearer pictures.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back