baby axolotl!!!!!!!

bendawson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
beni boy
I have a big axoltl in a tank on its own and i want to put another axolotl but he is well smaller then the other axolotl. Will it be ok if i put it in with the big one its living with 2 newts at the moment but they fight sometimes though. Is it ok to put it with the big axolotl?

It depends on the difference. What size do both of them have?

forgotten: And how big is the tank you want to put both of them in, are there hidings and plants?

Stay Online !!!!!!!!

Please stay online ill go get pictures of axolotls and tank to show you please stay on be 5 minites

Hi Ben,

If the small axolotl is big enough not to be mistaken for food it should be ok. There are a few other things to think about as well.

First if you are going to add anything living to your setup it needs to be quarantined for at least 30 days, this includes plants.

Secondly is your tank big enough? an adult axie needs about 18 inches of tank space.

However if your axie is big enough and your tank is big enough and you have quarantined your new addition then it should be a beautiful thing.

Good luck

Last edited:
pictures

here are the pictures of my axolotls.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 784
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 153,078
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,045
another set of pictures

here are pictures of my tank

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 727
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 573
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,138
mesurements

i have taken mesurements of my axolotls the small one is (7and half cm) and the big axolotl is (20cm) this should help you a lot please replay.

Hi Ben,

I have 2 adults and 2 juveniles in the same tank and they all get on together well. Yours look similar in size to mine when I introduced them, so I will hazard a guess and say it should be fine.

Your setup looks great.

One thing is the gravel in the dark coloured wild types tank. Gravel of this size can easily be eaten and can cause bowel impaction.

Good Luck

In my opinion the size difference between the two axolotl is too great, the little one may well disappear. I have an adult separated from 3 juveniles in one large tank, when they reach an equal size I aim to have them together.
Also , are you keeping the young axolotl with newts at the moment ? You may find that this cohabitation may also prove fatal..these two species are really best kept well apart .

Last edited:
ok but!!!!!!!!!!! help

well if its dangerous putting him in with the axolotl and if its dangerous with the newts and the small gravel what do i do with the small axolotl then ???

Big Problem! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Hey i have a small axolotl and a big axolotl in sepret tanks my small axolotl lives with 2 iberian newts and the axolotl which is big lives in a 3ft by 1ft tank with plants and caves and the mesurements are small axolotl is (7and half cm) big axoltl is (20cm) my small axolotl lives in a tank which has small gravel in it and gets into fights with the newts these are bad but people have told me that if i put the small axolotl with the big axolotl he might get hurt or even eaten but he risks problems with the small tank like gravel and fights with newts so what shall i do the small axolotl is active and fast so i think he should be able to get away from the big axolotl but i want an expert opinion on this so what should i do?

pictures of my big axolotls tank which is perfect for axolotls which are below

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,864
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,669
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 24,744
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,499
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,020
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 11,289
You already got an answer from the experts to your question in your other post. http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53571

No need to duplicate posts. It is dangerous to keep the 7.5 cm with the 20 cm. You axolotl may get eaten or get bites taken out of him. He may be active and fast, but all it takes is one good bite. This is a real concern so do what you feel is best.

Edit: Perhaps you could make a divider in the tank.

I merged the two threads.

7cm and 20cm is too much of a size difference to keep them together I would say. The divider is a good idea. Either that or you need 3 tanks. Or maybe you have a friend that could adopt the newts (or one of the axolotls) for a while?

ok

ill go with the tank divider thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back