What colour will my hatchlings be?

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Country
England
...the father was golden, the mother white leuchistic, yet all 43 hatchlings-to-be (still in eggs) and 4 that are 'out' look brown.. Will this change? And if so, when will i have some idea of their final colour? It's all so confuzzling!!!

Here's the breakdown: D is the 'leucistic' gene, which controls whether color cells migrate off the neural crest (leucistics have no migration, while wildtypes/goldens/melanoids do have migration). A is the albino gene (which controls the creation of melanophores, the 'brown' pigment, recessive a/a are albinos). M is the melanoid gene (which controls the creation of iridophores, the 'shiny' pigment, m/m have no iridophores and are generally very dark. They also lack the iridescent ring around the eye). Ax is the axanthic gene (which controls the production of xanthophores, the 'yellow' pigment, recessives ax/ax are generally weak and do not thrive, unless this occurs in conjunction with albinism).

Dad is D/? (he's golden, so he's not recessive), a/a (he's an albino, so he is recessive), M/m, probably (golden melanoids just don't occur, as melanism often results in the reduction of xanthophores as well), and Ax/ax (he's golden, again, so cannot be recessive).

Mum is d/d (leucistic, so no migration), A/? (not albino), unknown M (as you can have melanoid leucistics), and Ax/ax (failure to thrive if axanthic).

So your babies COULD come out D/d or d/d (leucistic or not), A/? (if mum is recessive for albino (A/a), you could get albino offspring), Melanoid unknown, and Ax/? or ax/? (axanthic or not).

So theoretically, you could have wildtypes, melanoids, leucistics, goldens, axanthics, white albinos, etc.

By the time they start getting their front legs, you should be able to tell for sure.

My larvae are from the same parents. I think the mother is white leucistic not albino. Amd all my larvae seem to be creamy colour leucistic although they show no signs of a shiney ring round the eyes so i dont know what that makes them?

hi mine have there front legs and are still white with a mix of black mum was a wildtype and dad leusistic any ideas if they will be wild type or leusistic?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back